Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53 Heating and Power Limiting

Options
XNitro5X
XNitro5X Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I just bought this laptop yesterday and I am facing some thermal problems. Is it normal for the cpu(i5-8300h) to reach about 64 degrees when browsing on google chrome and watching youtube with some applications installing in the background? Now the main issue is: with undervolting the cpu would reach on full load 3.2GHz(prime 95) when it's supposed to reach 3.9GHz on all cores and it would easly hit 95 degrees with cool boost on which worries more about games so what solutions do you suggest other than repasting as there's a huge performance lose.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,765 Pathfinder
    Options
    @XNitro5X
    Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    i5-8300h's frequency of 3.9GHz is for single core. The all core frequency would be around 3.5GHz.

Temperature spike between 90-98C are normal, as the last for miliaseconds. It isn't normal when the average temperature is higher than 85C.

Other than repasting, I would suggest you to lift off the laptop a bit higher, so there is more space for airflow underneath or use a cooling pad. This may help reducing the temperature by 2-3C at best, but I don't know if that will be enough for you to prevent the thermal throttling.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   

• XNitro5X

Tinkerer

Options
    ven98 said:
    i5-8300h's frequency of 3.9GHz is for single core. The all core frequency would be around 3.5GHz.

Temperature spike between 90-98C are normal, as the last for miliaseconds. It isn't normal when the average temperature is higher than 85C.

Other than repasting, I would suggest you to lift off the laptop a bit higher, so there is more space for airflow underneath or use a cooling pad. This may help reducing the temperature by 2-3C at best, but I don't know if that will be enough for you to prevent the thermal throttling.
    I just checked it. It should boost to 3.9GHz on all cores and 4GHz on single core so yeah a huge clock speed drop and that's really frustrating.
  • XNitro5X

Tinkerer

Options

@XNitro5X
    Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.

Well if that's the case it's totally fine for me whether it be 90 or 200 degrees as long as it won't harm my laptop and keep it functioning properly.Thx
  • ven98
    Options
    Sorry, I just checked the CPU specs and the all core boost frequency is 3.9GHz. Unfortunately, this doesn't change the fact that the CPU isn't running at the frequency it is supposed to, because of thermal throttle.

Just to add:
    If the CPU throttles on Prime95 without the GPU being active or on games in general that isn't normal. If it happens only when both CPU and GPU stress tests are running that is normal, as having both CPU and GPU at 100% load is not something that can be reached in normal use cases.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• XNitro5X

Tinkerer

Options
    ven98 said:
    Sorry, I just checked the CPU specs and the all core boost frequency is 3.9GHz. Unfortunately, this doesn't change the fact that the CPU isn't running at the frequency it is supposed to, because of thermal throttle.

Just to add:
    If the CPU throttles on Prime95 without the GPU being active or on games in general that isn't normal. If it happens only when both CPU and GPU stress tests are running that is normal, as having both CPU and GPU at 100% load is not something that can be reached in normal use cases.

I don't know why the cpu didn't fully boost on prime 95 but while playing far cry 4 just few minutes ago it actually boosted to it's full speed which is weird but anyways it did it's job only that the temps were reaching 97 frequently but not all the time.
  • ven98
    Options
    As long as the average temperature doesn't reach above 85C I consider it acceptable.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• XNitro5X

Tinkerer

Options
    Finally! I repasted the cpu and man the temps went down enormously with an undervolt. What astonished me was the thermal paste applied on the cpu. The cpu was literally just half covered with thermal paste while the other left with nothing which I'm sure alongside being it a bad thermal paste was the issue anyways thanks for your help guys.