2nd M.2 Slot G9-793

Options
JadeCurtiss
JadeCurtiss Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I'm curious about the 2nd m.2 slot, have seen a few posts that say the 2nd slot are not nvme...
Just want a confirmation on that, and if that's the case does anyone know if a evo970 nvme will run in that slot, albeit it at performance degradation?

I will be going back to driving a truck full time over the road, and plan on extracting the 970 from my PC and adding it in this unit for more storage since downloading anything over hotspot is a massive pain... I'd rather have as much onboard storage as I can find.

Also any suggestions on a 2.5" HDD that has 2tb would be great, only found the seagate SSHD and their quality is... wanting.

Thanks!

Best Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The 970 evo won't fit in the 2nd port, as it is M key, while the 2nd port is B key. You can open the upgrade panel too see that the m.2 ports are different. The SSD you can install there should be B key or M+B key.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The service manual informs you that the second slot is for ssd m2 sata, see:

About hd, I suggest you opt to buy a 2.5" sata 3 ssd!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The 970 evo won't fit in the 2nd port, as it is M key, while the 2nd port is B key. You can open the upgrade panel too see that the m.2 ports are different. The SSD you can install there should be B key or M+B key.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,750 Pathfinder
    Options
    @JadeCurtiss
    The second slot does not support Nvme.
    you cannot install with 2 TB in 2.5" HDD. But you con try to install 1TB

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The service manual informs you that the second slot is for ssd m2 sata, see:

About hd, I suggest you opt to buy a 2.5" sata 3 ssd!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ven98
    Options
    You can install 2TB HDD, just make sure the drive's height isn't more than 9.5mm, even though some users have reported before that 15mm drives fit in there too. I use seagate 2TB SSHD on my PC and I can say it is better than a traditional 7200rpm drive without cache for games. 
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• JadeCurtiss
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Well looks like ill pickup a Crucial MX500, that would fit the 2nd socket then. Finding a 9.5 height hdd gonna be tricky(avoiding toshiba & seagate)... may just stick to what I have and opt for a external for storage drive.
    Thanks guys.

Also the mechanical HDD would only be for storage, no gaming.. that's reserved for the m.2 slots for better load times.
    Current 970Evo I got in slot 1 is 2tb.

Edit: and I have the bracket needed for the 2nd slot.
  • ven98
    Options
    The 2.5inch 2 TB SSHD from seagate is 7.5mm, so it will fit.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• JadeCurtiss
    Options
    Thanks Ven98 I'll look into, I've just had a high failure rate with SG drives so I'm very hesitant to use them. 14 drives in a span of 1 1/2 years failed for reference.
    Even SpinRite can only fix so much.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited January 2019
    Options
    The issue with the 15mm 2.5  drives (3tb and 5tb) they fit but  it will not be possible to close/screw the hdd cover as the cover will not fit due to the drive being 15mm so i recommend if anyone wants to have a 3tb or 5tb to do the same as i did get a good/fast 10gbps external enclosure as use it as external drive either on usb3.0 or usb-c 3.1 ports and @JadeCurtiss dunno why are you avoiding toshiba they have the best and most durable drives in the market seagate are the ones who have serious issues since the beginning, i burned more than 20hdds over the years 98% seagate 2% samsung still have 2 old excelstor (toshiba) 80gb ide working fine have one 4tb touro and a H200 1tb also bought a 2tb seagate sshd lasted 1 month died all data gone amazon sent a replacement but of course as always i lost everything and i only bought a segate 5tb because they are the only ones who have 2.5 5tb drives but i use it as external doesn't perform too bad on games anyway i don't count on it too much because it might also die soon and yeah your right hdd regenerator and spinrite can't do too much if they are too damaged

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/