Switching from Windows 10S to Pro issue(SF114-32 )

Windowsfree
Windowsfree Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have a SF114-32 and when attempting to switch from Windows10S to Pro, I get the error seen in the attached screenshot.  I had to factory reset this computer and now it won't let me upgrade. Can anyone offer suggestions on how to resolve this?  Thank you.

~Bob

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,846 Trailblazer
    Are you trying to run the Pro install from inside your existing Win10 or boot from a Pro install stick? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Windowsfree
    Switch from Store.  MS remoted into laptop and it is an issue with the Store.  They are supposed to contact me later with resolution
    ~Bob

• JackE
    OKey-Doke. Please let us know what the issue was and how resolved for future reference. Thanks. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mateo620
    Mateo620 Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    That's strange. The switch on my SF114-32 happened almost immediately without error. I'm also curious to know how this is resolved.
  • Windowsfree
    No response from Microsoft, other than a Level 2 Analyst will reach back to me at a designated time and didn't.  So I called MS and was put on hold for 61 minutes.  I disconnected the call at that point.  I called back and was advised that an Analyst will call me the following day with steps towards resolution.  I agreed to that and did some exploring on my own again.  I reset the Windows Store and used a VPN to connect to the Internet.  I was able to log into the Store and upgrade to Windows 10 Pro without issue.   
    Now, any suggestions on what is the best "cloning" or "imaging" software for Windows.

Thank you,
    ~Bob

• JackE
    AOMEI backerupper, Macrium reflect, Samsung migration tool if you buy an EVO, lotsa pretty good freeware stuff out there. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Windowsfree
    thanks, I did buy a Samsung 860 EVO 250GB M.2 SATA Internal SSD.  I am unsure if I want to clone or image.
    ~Bob

• JackE
    Are you booting from an emmc or m.2 SSD card now? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Windowsfree
    booting from emmc

~Bob

• JackE
    Then just install the EVO as the D drive. It probably won't boot much faster than the emmc. Start loading new stuff, including an image of the emmc, on the EVO instead of the emmc. And move stuff off the emmc to the D drive that can be easily moved with File Explorer. You definitely don't want to clone the small emmc onto the EVO. Migrate is OK if you want the option of booting from the EVO but it's more complicated. Keep it simple.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Windowsfree
    I am going to image the computer as is with Windows 10 Pro.  After that I will wipe it and install the Manjaro Linux distribution.  The picture above shows it running from the USB drive, which I wanted to confirm everything would work (wireless, bluetooth etc.)
    ~Bob

• JackE
    You might want to consider leaving Pro intact and installing the distro alongside it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Windowsfree
    due to the way the computer boots, I have to be ready to tap F12 key to get a boot menu.  Grub installs, but I can't see the start menu.  I have to use the F12 key and that is very inconvenient.

~Bob

• JackE
    Just put grub at the top of the boot order. If it installed in the efi partition that the BIOS Main  tab looks at, it should be in  the Boot boot order. It'll ignore Windows an go straight to Linux. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Windowsfree
    Thanks, I'll try and let you know.
    ~Bob