Laptop doesn't see M.2 SSD in Bios or anything for that matter(Nitro 5) AN515-42

Options

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    The an515-42 model only supports sata, see:
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Krishna68 said:
    Acer Nitro 5, Does support NVME, but after installation you can't see NVME in file manager(Because NVME is not initialized yet). I have installed gigabyte 256gb m.2 pcie nvme ssd,It is working fine. You need to use some disk cloning software to copy your OS and other partitions into NVME( I used Macrium Reflect 7 Free Edition). Macrium will detect NVME and you can copy all partitions into NVME.  
    • Make disk recovery USB before performing cloning.
    • No need to modify any BIOS settings.

@Krishna68 and @LjoVe97 - Incorrect, not ALL Acer Nitro 5's support NVMe and the original questioner had an AN515-42 which supports SATA ONLY, see official ACER chart below.

ModelM.2 Slot 1 CompatibilityM.2 Slot 2 Compatibility
    AN515-51, AN515-52 and AN515-53 (Intel)NVMe PCIe or SATANot Available
    AN515-41 and AN515-42 (AMD)SATA onlyNot Available
    AN515-43 (AMD)NVMe PCIeSATA only

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• fluffymunster
    fluffymunster Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Just wish I had done a little more research myself before investing in a new 1TB NVMe SSD, however thankfully as I have the AN515-43 I can still use it to replace my current NVMe 128GB boot drive, it just means I have to do it the long way round migrating to my SATA HDD & then back to the new NVMe!
  • WmTasker
    WmTasker Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited September 2020
    Options
    The m.2 sata ssd have two alignment slots for connecting. The NVMe card and the connection on my motherboard only has one alignment spot. Does this make a difference? Can I plug a sata ssd with 2 slots into my motherboard with one slot?

Does it matter what type of ssd I use for the 2.5 bay?
  • WmTasker
    WmTasker Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Would this one work?

ADATA SU800 512GB M.2 2280 SATA 3D NAND Internal SSD (ASU800NS38-512GT-C) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3Z3UC2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_DIjCFbTMWT385
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Options
    Yes, this one will work.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• Rahulraj0660
    Rahulraj0660 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    Anyone tried to figure it out yet?. i have the Nitro 5 AN515-42, yes, it doesn't support M.2 NVMe SSD as i bought one and had to return. Bought M.2 SATA SSD instead and Windows recognized it and i was able to use and transfer files with no issues. Now i wanted to make boot through SSD by cloning the windows i have. i cloned using a software and restarted but in the BIOS menu Boot section only one option to boot is showing in the boot priority order which is the existing HDD and no SSD option to boot

Tried to remove the hard disk and boot from SSD directly then it shows that there is no bootable device
    cannot figure out what is the issue....................

please help......all the SSD speed and not able to use any.........
  • batmalin
    Options
    Is the M.2 SSD visible in BIOS?

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Is the ssd appearing in the information tab of the bios?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Rahulraj0660

Tinkerer

Options
    batmalin said:
    Is the M.2 SSD visible in BIOS?
    Not as a Bootable device in BIOS. I dunno where else to check in BIOS. But the SSD is showing in windows without any issue and i have been able to use it
  • batmalin
    Options
    The first tab - information tab

• Rahulraj0660

Tinkerer

Options
    batmalin said:
      batmalin said:
    yes thank you, i checked
    It is visible there
    HDD0 - the original hard disk
    HDD1 - the new SSD number is vivble

• Rahulraj0660

Tinkerer

Options
    Is the ssd appearing in the information tab of the bios?
    Yes, SSD model is appearing in information tab in BIOS
  • batmalin
    Options
    So then your drive cloning was not  done properly, otherwise you will see 2 win boot manager entries in the boot menu.

• Rahulraj0660

Tinkerer

Options
    batmalin said:
    So then your drive cloning was not  done properly, otherwise you will see 2 win boot manager entries in the boot menu.
    i have tried cloning with 2 separate third party apps about 4 time now ......didn't show in boot menu ......still there could be cloning issues?
    i even tried to do with Crucial recommended software but that one is ridiculously slow
  • batmalin
    Options
    You have to choose  drive OS clone. 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,473 Trailblazer
    Options
    Fire up Disk Management and look at the partitions on each drive. If the cloning was successful there should be the same number of partitions on each drive and the smaller ones will be the same size. The C: drive might be different sized to deal with the size differences between the two drives.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Rahulraj0660

Tinkerer

Options
    batmalin said:
    You have to choose  drive OS clone. 
    Yes i understood that but whatever software i am using, they seems to be cloning successfully but it wont show in boot priority menu. Can you please suggest some software that i can use?
  • Rahulraj0660

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    Fire up Disk Management and look at the partitions on each drive. If the cloning was successful there should be the same number of partitions on each drive and the smaller ones will be the same size. The C: drive might be different sized to deal with the size differences between the two drives.
    i have 2 partition in the current HDD and i am cloning only the C Drive currently to SSD
  • batmalin
    Options