Spin 1 function keys

lukasck
lukasck Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello,
Few months ago I bought a Acer Spin 1 notebook (SNID*************) and to my horror i discovered that F1-F12 keys are inverted (meaning that volume and screen functions are primary and classic F1-F12 works only when i press and hold FN button)... Why would you do that???!!! Whats even worse there is no option in BIOS to change that.
I have called Acer support in Poland for assistance... I was promissed to be called back with solution or any other news on the subject... about 2 months in... nothing... silence... This abomination of a keyboard layout makes it so anoying and slow as molasses in winter to work in file menagers like Total Commander, text and graphics editors... or even when i try to use typical windows shortcuts like alt+F4... I'm currentely using few other computers with simmilar software so im not gonna relearn my habits for this one unit...
Please, i beg of you... Give me a responce, is fix for this problem currently in development? And if then when will it apear... I'm afraid that I will have to pass this device to someone else if otherwise... which is a shame because otherwise its a very slick and handy little travel mate...

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Harvey]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,847 Trailblazer
    What is your full Spin 1 model number SP11x-xx? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• lukasck
    edited February 2019
    Spin SP111-32N SN: NXGRMEP003XXXXXXXXXXX my current BIOS version is 1.08
    Sorry I've attached SNID number so it would be easier to identify this model but it was censured

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Manny]

• JackE
    Sorry, it appears that this section of the 32N user guide is an error.

None of the BIOS versions that I can find seem to support changing this FN key behavior in the BIOS Main tab. An earlier post describes this very same issue that doesn't seem to be resolved.  https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/547332/#Comment_547332

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• lukasck
    edited February 2019
    Well I read somewhere that in other devices that BIOS workaround exists and works fine. Question is, is there going to be an update to BIOS, or any other solution provided for this problem in 32N series... It is very frustrating to be force to wokeup your device every 30 minutes (since im a fast and somewhat chaotic typer, often when i want to press ESC i tap F1 which is sleep button in this notebook - with traditional layout thats not a problem since F1 barely does anything in Windows operating system, but here it is catastrophical)... Why would anyone introduce inverted function key layout... who even thinks thats a good idea. I absolutely hate it... and it is the biggest let down (as computer buying goes) i have experienced in last 10 years... and i had bought a laptop once that literally burned into flames after 3 weeks of use (not kidding)...

Please find some solution for this problem...
  • JackE
    edited October 2019
    >>>is there going to be an update to BIOS>>>

Not sure. But others have complained about this without having a BIOS option visible to change it back to normal FN key behavior. To help get this issue noticed by ACER designers. Just note the model number (not serial number), and what the user-manual claims is a BIOS option that seems to be missing. Jack E/NJ

[Edited link]

Jack E/NJ

• lukasck
    Unfortunately no effort has been given to resolve this problem... My only alternative is to resell this unit and buy something else, such a big shame... i remember back in a day, when Acer put a lot of effort in their software, so much that a 7 year old, low end laptop could be used with ease to various tasks without issue... guess those days are long gone... Thanks for assistance, not returning here any time soon...
  • JackE
    edited February 2019
    >>>Unfortunately no effort has been given to resolve this problem>>>

I'm not sure. We're only a users group here. We try to help but have no way of knowing how far long the ACER technical folks are on releasing future updates. Sorry. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ