I want to upgrade RAM and SSD - Acer Nitro AN515-42

Options
angellicerio
angellicerio Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello. Just wondering if adding memory sticks and switching to SSD will void my warranty? Just purchased the NITRO5 laptop today.
Thanks

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    If there are warranty void stickers preventing you from opening the RAM upgrade cover or the opening the laptop(to access the M.2 SSD port I believe the whole back cover has to be removed) then it won't void the warranty.

Take a note that if you have to send the laptop to Acer for repair due to some malfunction you have to remove the additional components you have added, plus you have to put any component back that was originally in the device, otherwise Acer can refuse repair.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,750 Pathfinder
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @angellicerio
    Untill there is no physical damages happens when you install the RAM and SSD the warranty will not be void
    For more info on warranty check the below link
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/warranty-information

• angellicerio
    angellicerio Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thank you very much!
    My laptop is Nitro AN515-42
    i5 
    4gb gpu
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,750 Pathfinder
    Options
    @angellicerio
    RAM and SSD specs for your laptop

System Memory
    DDR4 2400 SODIMM memory interface design:
    • DDR4 SODIMM slot x 2
    • Maximum memory is up to 32GB

Storage Subsystem
    • SATA HDD
     Storage 1 : M.2 2280 for SSD (PCIe/SATA Co-lay)
     Storage 2 : 9.5mm/7mm co-lay (Support HDD Door)

• Redfan
    Redfan Member Posts: 65 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited January 2019
    Options
    ven98 said:
    If there are warranty void stickers preventing you from opening the RAM upgrade cover or the opening the laptop(to access the M.2 SSD port I believe the whole back cover has to be removed) then it won't void the warranty.

Take a note that if you have to send the laptop to Acer for repair due to some malfunction you have to remove the additional components you have added, plus you have to put any component back that was originally in the device, otherwise Acer can refuse repair.
    What he said officially they told me that as long as the damage wasn’t done by installation and the components it’s fine the ssd up to 2TB, BUT just to be safe I would do as ven98 suggests so they can’t blame things that aren’t the problem which they do even on the phone for adding ram, just don’t tell them. You are allowed but the current call centre staff will use any excuse to not help you and void your warranty unless you demand to talk to the manager and actually talk to the manager, if it’s not the supervisor then they won’t help. 

Also talk to them in nitro chat and ask they will give you the green light and THEN you have it in writing that they allowed you, I have that transcript saying as long as the install doesn’t cause damage then go ahead.

@a@angellicerio that model is with Ryzen 5 not intel core i5, but both systems it’s the same no nvme and Sata 3 up to 2TB BUT the intel is 2,666mhz in some. So is it 42 (zen) or -5X (core)?
  • ven98
    Options
    I am not sure about the ryzen, but the Intel variant supports Intel Optane. Intel Optane requires x2 PCIe lanes in order to work and doesn't work on M.2 SATA, therefore the nitro 5 with Intel should have at least x2 lanes on the M.2 port, which in other words is NVMe. The same thing should go for the AMD variant, as I don't see why Acer would assign x2 lanes or more to the M.2 port on the Intel model, but not the AMD.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Nadeem149
    Nadeem149 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options
    Hi Ven98,

Why you suggest not to update to the latest bios 1.22?

Please let us know all the issues.
  • ven98
    Options
    Nadeem149 said:
    Hi Ven98,

Why you suggest not to update to the latest bios 1.22?

Please let us know all the issues.
    On 1.22 the keyboard backlight will turn off after 30 seconds of inactivity even when plugged in.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Nadeem149
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. My device is Acer Predator Helios PH315-51 (white edition)

If there is any big issue with 1.22 bios i can downgrade
  • Nadeem149
    Options
    I just downgraded to BIOS 1.19

thanks Ven98
  • dannico
    dannico Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I would like to ask for the new nitro 5 2019..can if I add ram will it void the warranty?
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    dannico said:
    I would like to ask for the new nitro 5 2019..can if I add ram will it void the warranty?

Please start a new Topic of your own and give your exact model number AN515** Thankyou

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• UzairSaiyed
    UzairSaiyed Member Posts: 31 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Redfan said:
    ven98 said:

What he said officially they told me that as long as the damage wasn’t done by installation and the components it’s fine the ssd up to 2TB, BUT just to be safe I would do as ven98 suggests so they can’t blame things that aren’t the problem which they do even on the phone for adding ram, just don’t tell them. You are allowed but the current call centre staff will use any excuse to not help you and void your warranty unless you demand to talk to the manager and actually talk to the manager, if it’s not the supervisor then they won’t help. 

Also talk to them in nitro chat and ask they will give you the green light and THEN you have it in writing that they allowed you, I have that transcript saying as long as the install doesn’t cause damage then go ahead.

@a@angellicerio that model is with Ryzen 5 not intel core i5, but both systems it’s the same no nvme and Sata 3 up to 2TB BUT the intel is 2,666mhz in some. So is it 42 (zen) or -5X (core)?
    How did you ask for permission to do it yourself???