An515-52 Gaming and Performance Issues

JustAnotherUser
JustAnotherUser Member Posts: 10 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Greetings,
I recently got an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52-54GU with i5 8300H, 8GB RAM, Nvidia 1050TI and 1TB HDD with 16GB IntelOptane
PartNumber: NH.Q49SI.001 [Link]

My problem is that I'm not able to play games, when I start any game it open up to the main menu then when I press play it just crashes, and sometime crashes the whole system and I have manually restart the laptop,

I have tried playing CS:GO, Cities Skylines, FarCry 5 they all just crash after after trying to play form their main menu,
Civilization VI runs for some time on low settings before crashing.

I have updated windows, Nvidia drivers, CoolBost is ON.

I have no idea why this is happening any help would be appreciated,
thinking of taking it to the customer service / repair , Not sure what to do?  :/

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for the CSV it was really easy to find the issue. It seems that you have run out of virtual memory. There are moments where it goes to 0MB available and after that point I assume the game crashes and then the available virtual memory.

To fix this go to control panel>large/small icons>systen>advanced system settings>performance settings>advanced>virtual memory change

Disable automatically manage paging file size
    Select custom size
    For initial size(MB) input the amount of MB by using the forumla:
    1024x8GBx1.5=12288
    8GB depends on the amount of your system RAM you have it can be 4,16,12 depending on how much it is. If it is 16GB it will be 1024x16x1.5
    For maximum size (MB) use this forumla:
    1024x8GBx3=24576
    Again 8GB is the amount of RAM

After inputing the values click on ' set' and then ok.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    Have you done any undervolting to the CPU?

Try with installing nvidia 399.24 driver, but before that use DDU to unistall the current driver.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• JustAnotherUser
    ven98 said:
    Have you done any undervolting to the CPU?

Try with installing nvidia 399.24 driver, but before that use DDU to unistall the current driver.
    I have not done any undervolting on the CPU.

I did uninstall current drivers (using DDU) and installed 399.24,
    CS:GO runs at medium settings, but Cities Skylines and Farcry 5 still crash,
    should I try installing the Nvidia VGA drivers form Acer's Driver page [Link]
  • ven98
    You can try installing the drivers from Acer, but I doubt that will help. Try installing the last driver available from Intel(not from Acer's page) to see if that will make a difference.

Download HWiNFO and report the CPU and GPU temperatures on both when idle and when you try to run a game.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• JustAnotherUser
    ven98 said:
    You can try installing the drivers from Acer, but I doubt that will help. Try installing the last driver available from Intel(not from Acer's page) to see if that will make a difference.

Download HWiNFO and report the CPU and GPU temperatures on both when idle and when you try to run a game.
    I tested on both Nvidia 399.24 and 388.73 using HWINFO, CSGO ran on high this time on both version, but CitiesSkylines and Farcry5 Still crashed regardless of driver version,

Here is the link the CSV files [Link]

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for the CSV it was really easy to find the issue. It seems that you have run out of virtual memory. There are moments where it goes to 0MB available and after that point I assume the game crashes and then the available virtual memory.

To fix this go to control panel>large/small icons>systen>advanced system settings>performance settings>advanced>virtual memory change

Select custom size
    1024x8GBx1.5=12288
    8GB depends on the amount of your system RAM you have it can be 4,16,12 depending on how much it is. If it is 16GB it will be 1024x16x1.5
    1024x8GBx3=24576

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    edited January 2019
    The problem isn't a GPU driver, but you can stay on 399.24, as it is the best driver in my opinion for laptops with 10 series/pascal GPUs.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• JustAnotherUser
    ven98 said:

Select custom size
    1024x8GBx1.5=12288
    1024x8GBx3=24576

That did work Thank You =) ,

ven98 said:
    The problem isn't a GPU driver, but you can stay on 399.24, as it is the best driver in my opinion for laptops with 10 series/pascal GPUs.
    Sure, I will use 399.24