Can't install win 10 on my acer E5-573-530F over win 8.1 also has linux on dual boot !?

n00b8
n00b8 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
This is the whole story and my current problem :-
 I have an acer aspire laptop 
total hdd - 1 tb
it came with msdos 
then i installed win 8.1 on it on full hdd 
making 4 partitions c,d,f and g drives
after some years I installed linux on dual boot
for that i shrinked the g drive and installed linux on new unallocated space
while installing linux it installed grub also
which boots up everytime I power on the laptop from where i select win or linux 
now everything was fine but one day i shrinked the g drive again in my windows 8.1 and made an 
"I" drive now after doing this I shut down the laptop and next time i booted laptop it didn't displayed the grub screen as used to show but was showing error like grub rescue and stuff like that where I can enter commands , after watching some YouTube video i fixed the error and got the grub menu to select window or linux but when i selected linux it again showed error so i switched my laptop off and on again , again used the commands got to the grub menu and now selected windows and as I hadnot done anything except shrinking the g drive i merged them again to try to fix it and it worked all was back to normal
but now I want to clean install win 10 over my win 8.1 without loosing any data ( just c drive data loss is okay) and also keep data in linux 
so I am using an usb with win 10 on it (bootable and all that ) when i plug it after changing the boot order (it doesn t boot from usb on legacy mode so i had to change it to uefi ) everything is fine but after selecting my c drive is shows error like cant be installed on mbr partition table like that. 
What to do now looks like my whole hdd is in mbr and even worse when i boot my laptop (after removing the usb and selecting uefi boot on my bios ) it shows error like no bootable device .... What to do now ??

Best Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,297 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    OK! First convert the pendrive to work in legacy mode, using cmd as administrator like this: diskpart, list disk, sel disk x, clean, convert mbr, create partition primary, format fs = fat32 quick, assign and active. Then download an iso x86 or x64 from windows and copy it to the pendrive!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    Good thing it solved your problem!
    a) about fast start up, you can activate this function again. However I do not recommend that you enable this function as it may interfere with dual boot.
    b) to disable the updates of windows update, do this:

Click "Pause Updates"!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Hello! I saw your message! Is secureboot disabled? Is boot mode legacy (mbr) or uefi (gpt)?
    The uefi mode can only be installed with the pendrive converted to gpt and with an iso x64. The legacy mode can only be installed with the pendrive converted into mbr and with an iso x86 or x64.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• n00b8

Tinkerer

Hello! I saw your message! Is secureboot disabled? Is boot mode legacy (mbr) or uefi (gpt)?
    The uefi mode can only be installed with the pendrive converted to gpt and with an iso x64. The legacy mode can only be installed with the pendrive converted into mbr and with an iso x86 or x64.
    Currently boot mode is legacy for win 8.1 and linux but when I insert usb I have to change it to uefi , to boot from usb as it has win 10 . In uefi I checked with both secure boot disabled and enabled it shows the same error on selecting my c drive that 
    Windows cant be installed to this disk as it has mbr partition table ...without the usb If i boot my laptop with uefi boot mode it shows no bootable device ..
  • Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    OK! First convert the pendrive to work in legacy mode, using cmd as administrator like this: diskpart, list disk, sel disk x, clean, convert mbr, create partition primary, format fs = fat32 quick, assign and active. Then download an iso x86 or x64 from windows and copy it to the pendrive!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• n00b8

Tinkerer

It worked thanks ... now the error "Windows cant be installed on this drive because it is mbr ... " is gone and now there is the option to click next
    so I should install windows on my c drive or something is remaining ?? I am also worried that
    1)windows will replace grub and install its own bootloader and from next time it will boot straight into windows and will not display the grub screen
    and
    2)if i select my c drive for installation then windows will also create a system reserved partition which will again disturb grub as I mentioned it happended when I shrinked my g drive and made I drive ...
  • n00b8

Tinkerer

n00b8 said:
    It worked thanks ... now the error "Windows cant be installed on this drive because it is mbr ... " is gone and now there is the option to click next
    so I should install windows on my c drive or something is remaining ?? I am also worried that
    1)windows will replace grub and install its own bootloader and from next time it will boot straight into windows and will not display the grub screen
    and
    2)if i select my c drive for installation then windows will also create a system reserved partition which will again disturb grub as I mentioned it happended when I shrinked my g drive and made I drive ...
    It boots on legacy boot mode now I forgot to mention that ..
  • I believe this will not happen! Is linux installed, is it a 64bit version as well?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• n00b8

Tinkerer

I believe this will not happen! Is linux installed, is it a 64bit version as well?
    Yes sir linux is also 64 bit so may i install the windows . Do i have to delete the system reserved partition of old windows as well along with c drive ?
  • Do you want to do a new installation for windows 10, or just upgrade to windows 10? If you just want to upgrade to windows 10, there is no need to delete any partitions!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• n00b8

Tinkerer

Do you want to do a new installation for windows 10, or just upgrade to windows 10? If you just want to upgrade to windows 10, there is no need to delete any partitions!
    New installation ( clean install )
  • Yes my friend!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• n00b8

Tinkerer

Hi sir , It worked win 10 is successfully installed on c drive and other drives data is as it is... But when I boot up my laptop it goes straight into windows and does not show any screen to select linux... Rest things are all good 
    One more thing How do i get the latest drivers for my acer aspire e5 573
    Thanks for so much help ..
  • I  usually use the driverpack or driverbooster to update the drivers!
    About the fact that the notebook is coming directly to windows, try to disable fast start up in the power options of windows!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• n00b8

Tinkerer

I  usually use the driverpack or driverbooster to update the drivers!
    About the fact that the notebook is coming directly to windows, try to disable fast start up in the power options of windows!
    Thanks sir I will try it  and comment ...
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited January 2019
    Hi,

It's really easy to dual boot Windows and Ubuntu on your E5-573 computer in UEFI/GPT mode

1, Make sure you have the latest BIOS. (several users reported that you must have latest BIOS in order to get Linux to work)
    2. Make sure you install Windows in UEFI mode (you may need to wipe you drive, convert it to GPT partition style and start over...reinstall Windows with bios settings in UEFI mode)
    3. After you re-install Windows, use rufus to create your Ubuntu installation USB media with settings UEFI (nonCSM),GPT,FAT32,iso
    4. Shrink your C drive, and disable secure boot in BIOS, and install Ubuntu along side Windows (you'll need to create a supervisor password in order to disable secure boot)
    5.  Follow eelcoherder's post to add grub to the trusted secure boot settings (you'll need to enable secure boot at this point).

https://rufus.ie/

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • n00b8

Tinkerer

I  usually use the driverpack or driverbooster to update the drivers!
    Even After disabling fast start up , my laptop still goes directly to windows just at slower speed ..
  • Does linux boot appear here?

Have you tried your @JordanB colleague's tips?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• n00b8

Tinkerer

Does linux boot appear here?

Have you tried your @JordanB colleague's tips?
    No  , Linux doesnot appear there also ..
    I cannot try @JordanB 's tips as they are for gpt partitioned hard drive , mine is in mbr and as of now windows boot only when my boot mode is legacy .
    Although going to computer management in administrative tools shows the Partitions on which Linux is installed just as it used to prior to installing win 10 ( when I has win 8.1)

• Commodore_1995#
    edited January 2019
    What is the version linux installed? Ubuntu,lubuntu or mint? Maybe you need to recover linux grub!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• n00b8

Tinkerer

What is the version linux installed? Ubuntu,lubuntu or mint? Maybe you need to recover linux grub!
    I am using debian based linux..
    Yeah , I also think I need to restore grub.
    On some other websites it was mentioned to use other usb bootable linux and reinstall grub after going inside my current Linux partition . 
    If thats the case which linux i should download and use . Is there light linux which can do this or I need to download the same debian based linux I had installed .
  • Make sure this video can help you: 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj_uNxV3f0E

egydiocoelho Trailblazer