edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Switch SW512-52
Win 10.0.17134
Intel i7-7500
BIOS Insyde V1.08
Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7265
Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter, Ethernet 802.3

my Switch 5 always has trouble with wifi, whether on battery or plugged in

it usually does not connect during boot, then might connect at some point after boot up, then drops, then won't re-connect

we have a dual band internet service, 5G and 2.4G

my other acer devices, 2 other laptops (spin and something else) and one desktop, do not have any such issues, their wifi stays connected even if all of my acer machines are on

i went into the device manager and unchecked the allow the computer to turn off this device to save power, rebooted, but switch still either would not connect or would disconnect. i then re-checked that option and rebooted, but same result, unreliable wifi connection

i've searched a bunch of threads in different forums and youtubes, but so far the wifi for just the switch 5 is still unreliable

any ideas?

thanks

Best Answer

• step8601
    step8601 Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓
    number 2 above worked for me, reset

so far so good, thanks :+1:

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 4,004 Pathfinder
    @step8601
    Right click on Battery > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change advanced power settings > Wireless Adapater Settings > Power Saving Mode > Under On Battery, select Low or Medium Power Saving and if that doesn't work, Maximum performance

1. Troubleshoot Power 
    Type troubleshoot in Windows Start Search box > Click Troubleshoot > Scroll down > Click Power > Run the troubleshooter > Follow on-screen direction. 

2. Restore Default for Power Settings 
    Right click on battery icon in system tray > Power options > Click Change Plan Settings > Click Restore default settings for this plan

3. Disable Fast Startup 
    Right click on battery icon in system tray > Power options > Click Choose what the power buttons do > Click Change settings that are currently unavailable > Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup > Click Save changes 

4. Uninstall / Install Battery Driver 
    Shut down your computer > Detach power chord > Remove battery > Attach power chord > Reboot your computer 
    Windows Key+X > Device Manager > Expand Batteries > Right-click Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System > Uninstall > Shutdown the computer > Remove the power chord > Attach your battery > Attach your power chord > Reboot the computer to automatically install the driver

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Does the wireless signal show with all bars? If so test when really close to the router, if it's stable there it might be n antenna problem.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • step8601
    billsey said:
    Does the wireless signal show with all bars? If so test when really close to the router, if it's stable there it might be n antenna problem.
    no, no bars, it shows a shaded version of the bars, but it also shows an asterisk
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    The asterisk just says it doesn't have internet capability and would be typical for a bad connection. Try it with you sitting a close physically as you can get with the router. If it connects but you can't get to the internet, first up properties on the connection (Network and Sharing, click on the connection, choose details) and give us the settings it's using, IP, Gateway, Subnet, etc.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • step8601
    Answer ✓
    number 2 above worked for me, reset

so far so good, thanks :+1:
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 4,004 Pathfinder
    @step8601
    Good to know the issue got resolved.