Overheating and FPS issue in games VN7-519G-74LK

kward92
kward92 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello, I purchased my Acer Aspire V15 Nitro back in 2015. It has the Intel I7-4710HQ, Geforce GTX 860M, 8GB RAM, and 1TB HDD. Lately I have been getting issues with framerates and load times when I play games, I currently play World of Warcraft. I have ALL graphics settings turned to bare minimum with just the view distance turned up to maximum. Lately while playing, I will have issues where I can be getting upwards of 70+ frames per second and then as soon as I move, I drop down to almost nothing or completely freeze for a second or two. And that was only when in a small area with nothing around me, in cities it is almost impossible to move. Also when loading new areas by teleporting to them, when the screen loads to the place, my surroundings start out at 8bit looking cities or towns and take a while for the actual environment details to load. When I reload my UI it fixes the issue partially but it keeps reverting back to the same issue. I have an older custom built desktop PC that has even older parts in it (AMD A10 APU and Radeon HD 6970) that is working better but I want to also make this one work so that I dont need to always play on a desktop. i have been told that most likely my PC is overheating and should replace my thermal paste because that will fix the issue but have also seen several posts that that will only drop temps nominally and thats how the PC works.

I have installed CPUID Hardware Monitor to test the temperatures of my CPU and GPU. Idling with nothing running in the background, my GPU is staying around a 49C level and my CPU is around 55-60C. When I turn on my game on the other hand, I have had spikes all the way up to 99C on my CPU and 89C on the GPU. I have checked the maximum temperature threshold of both my chipsets and it is at 100C for the CPU and 80C for the GPU. What can I do to make the temperatures go down and have my game work smoothly again, without possibly having to uninstall and reinstall completely my game if it is software related.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    You can try undervolting the CPU with throttlestop and if that doesn't lower your CPU and GPU temperatures under 85C average(for both components), then you have to change the thermal paste and it is preferable to purchase a high quality one like MX-4 or thermal grizzly kryonaut. After such a long time the thermal paste has probably gotten dry and has lost its thermal conductivity, which means that the heat can't dissipate from the CPU to the heatsink(cooler).
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!