Update bios (an515-42-r8hn)

kanyethegoat
kanyethegoat Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
My bios version is 1.06. Need some help on updating my bios. Heard that it's scary cause I might "brick" my laptop. Can anyone give me an tutorial on how to update my bios or just teach me lol ? also what version should I go for? Also heard that 1.11 causes the keyboard lights off even plugged in. My laptop is an515-42-r8hn (amd) thanks everyone!

Answers

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    At this juncture, I'd recommend not updating your BIOS. Unless there is some specific problem you are facing now that can be fixed with a newer BIOS revision there is no real reason to change.
    As you've found there are some complaints with some Acer models and the keyboard backlight after BIOS update. IF your model is reported as having this feature after the update be aware you may experience a different keyboard backlight operation and there is no official way to revert back.

The process of flashing the BIOS is easy. Simply download the revision you want from Acer, close all other applications, launch the flashing tool and it will proceed to reboot and flash. The only risk in all of this is if the flashing process is interrupted. A loss of power or other interruption can 'brick' the BIOS chip as it will be blank or partially written and inoperable with no way of re-flashing.

• AMDKilla
    AMDKilla Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
    There are a few stability updates between versions 1.06 and 1.10 that can be of use. I would download version 1.10. Version 1.11 is the one with the backlight issue