Helios 300PH315 issues

Scout_13
Scout_13 Member Posts: 9 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi all, Ive worked my ***** off for the last 3 years saving up for a gaming machine this was the best I could find and So far I love it. However, when I am just using my computer after a while it goes to a black screen where I cannot do anything unless I turn it off by the power button on the keyboard. This is both bad for me and the machine. I know its not a heat related issue because I get core temps of 70-75 degrees Celsius on average. I've tried just about everything even updating the bios but no luck. I don't want to have to return it I love this beast. Any help would be appreciated thanks!!! P.S: it has only occurred so far when I have had the battery plugged in (hope that helps!)
Specs:

Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-8750H processor Hexa-core 2.20 GHz
Graphics
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with 6 GB Dedicated Memory
Screen
39.6 cm (15.6") Full HD (1920 x 1080) 16:9 IPS
Memory
16 GB, DDR4 SDRAM
Storage
1 TB HDD, 128 GB SSD
Edit: Missed important note

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    If that doesn't help, then the problem is likely to be with the GPU, so I suggest you to return or replace the device or contact Acer support 
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,253 Pathfinder
    edited January 2019
    Have u tried a battery power drain, reset pinhole for 30s let it rest for 10 mints (min) after boot into bios load setup defaults to see if it fixes it or even disconnecting the cmos battery bios setup defaults and connect it again (this part requires u to open the laptop and can only be done if you don't have any seals to void warranty and if you are authorized to open it by the shop where you bought it to upgrade the ssd for ex without voiding warranty)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Scout_13
    Hi thanks for the support. i have already tried this any other suggestions?
  • ven98
    edited January 2019
    Try updating the both Intel and Nvidia drivers from their websites.

So you are saying that the screen just turns off, but otherwise it isn't completely turned off(e.g fans still spinning and keyboard backlight on)? Can you describe any specific cases when this happens? For example when you are gaming only or on any occasion?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Scout_13
    Yes the fans are still on the backlight still on but I cant do anything.
  • Scout_13
    btw ive already tried that and it didnt work D:
  • Scout_13
    ven98 said:
    Try updating the both Intel and Nvidia drivers from their websites.

So you are saying that the screen just turns off, but otherwise it isn't completely turned off(e.g fans still spinning and keyboard backlight on)? Can you describe any specific cases when this happens? For example when you are gaming only or on any occasion?
    Just figured out how to quote and I have already tried to update the Intel and nvidia and no luck.And to answer your question, Yes the fans are still on and the backlit keyboard is still on but I cant do anything. Ive also noticed that it can either freeze and sometimes and very rarely unfreezes. Im in desperate need of help I feel like I have tried everything D:
  • ven98
    Does the issue happen while you are doing some activities or the device just doesn't wake from sleep? Do you have this problem since you bought the device or it began to .appear recently? Also does it happen every time you use the device or it happens occasionally?

On start up press F2 to enter in BIOS. Reset the BIOS do defult settings and then select save and exit.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Scout_13
    ven98 said:
    Does the issue happen while you are doing some activities or the device just doesn't wake from sleep? Do you have this problem since you bought the device or it began to .appear recently? Also does it happen every time you use the device or it happens occasionally?

On start up press F2 to enter in BIOS. Reset the BIOS do defult settings and then select save and exit.
    I just tried this with acer tech support still no luck D:
  • Scout_13
    oh and yes it only happens while I am playing games.
  • ven98
    I've heard that many laptop users experience different issues with the latest nvidia drivers. Can you try installing the last 399.xx version to see if that will help.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Scout_13
    ven98 said:
    I've heard that many laptop users experience different issues with the latest nvidia drivers. Can you try installing the last 399.xx version to see if that will help.
    I've tried updating the drivers. Unfortunately still nothing works😟
  • ven98
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    If that doesn't help, then the problem is likely to be with the GPU, so I suggest you to return or replace the device or contact Acer support 
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system