Retrofit/Upgrade an Acer Spin 5 SP513-51 display to support Active Stylus pens?

g3wtter1
g3wtter1 Member Posts: 1 New User
The only thing I dislike about this laptop is that I cant use active stylus pens. Now I see these displays sold all over the internet that say "digitizer" in the description. Can I swap out the display to get active stylus support on my klaptop or is it just a fluke?

Here is an example of such displays sold:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Spin-5-SP513-51-Lcd-Touch-Screen-Digitizer-13-3-/202137005082

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,463 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Sorry no. This seems to be what you already have. Simply a replacement touchscreen. Touchscreens are also known as digitizers. But it likely won't work with active stylus because it relies a different digitizer sensing technology. However your existing touchscreen should work with a blunter eraser-style pen that mimics a finger but isn't as precise as the 'pointier' active stylus.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Sorry no. This seems to be what you already have. Simply a replacement touchscreen. Touchscreens are also known as digitizers. But it likely won't work with active stylus because it relies a different digitizer sensing technology. However your existing touchscreen should work with a blunter eraser-style pen that mimics a finger but isn't as precise as the 'pointier' active stylus.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• deniellew
    deniellew Member Posts: 1 New User
    I think I have the same question, only I don't really know the lingo! Is a Microsoft Surface Pen an active stylus?
  • JackE
    An 'active' stylus pen usually means it needs a battery to work. A 'passive' stylus pen doesn't need a battery. Most 'passive' stylus pens will work with almost all touchscreens. Not so with active stylus pens. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• aa11
    aa11 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

i too have been looking for solutions to have working active stylus. and by accidend i found a product on amazon labelled as an active stylus that works with any capacitive touch screen. I have not yet received it. but it has a rechargable batter in it and is charged by usb port power. It looks like it has a very fine copper ball tip that produces some kind of capacitance similar to a finger, and perhaps even more precisely. This not only could be usefull as a replacement for active stylus pen. it could be used on my other devices. Also, this could be useful when wearing gloves or something is preventing the capacitance touch of the finger. here is link to the product i ordered. and it is only about $15 and has free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P7NZN4N/