Nitro AN515-42 odd memory timings

tibor698
tibor698 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I recently bought Nitro 5 and I got some weird memory test results. All the tests were done with Aida64 Extreme. My laptop came with bios 1.09. With original DDR memory module I got memory latency of 100ns. Later I upgraded bios to 1.11 and with same memory the latency was 105ns.
I had an extra 8GB (2x4GB) Kingston HyperX Impact memory rated at 14-14-14-35. I replaced the original module with the new ones. Now for memory latency I get 120ns.
For comparison my home desktop PC has a latency of 69ns. How is this possible?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited January 2019
    From what I have read before AMD offers higher latency than Intel(usually two times higher, but I am not sure how it goes with Ryzen) and also having 2 RAM modules in dual-channel instead of a single RAM module increases the latency to some degree. 
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• tibor698
    This would explain it for dual channel, but at home I also have dual channel configuration and it's way faster. My home specification is a AMD Athlon 2 x2 with 8GB (2x4GB).

My laptop specification is Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42, Ryzen 5 2ghz (boost 3.6ghz), 8GB (2x4GB) HyperX Impact, ATI 560X 4GB, 1TB HDD.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    If that is the case maybe there was unexpected CPU usage while doing the test. Make sure there are no background applications using a lot of CPU resources while running the test.

I am not very sure, but the integrated GPU(intel hd graphics) is using the system RAM as VRAM and because the iGPU is always running when on desktop it could be the reason for the high latency.

If it is possible try connecting the device to a monitor with HDMI. HDMI is directly connected to the nvidia GPU, so there should not be any nvidia optimus and then run the test again.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• tibor698
    Ok, I'll try that. Btw my integrated GPU is Vega 8 that comes with Ryzen 5 and it's using about 1GB of RAM. On board  GPU is ATI RX 560X.

Are there any reference benchmarks that I could compare to maybe for Ryzen 5?
  • tibor698
    Here's a screenshot from SiSoftware Sandra for memory timings. It can be seen that this configuration has a really low latency at low MBs, event faster than some of the fastest pc-s. On higher end, with benchmarks with more MBs, the graph really goes high, above expected and the average result ends in 127ns.
  • tibor698
    I downloaded and installed BIOS ver. 1.12 and ran a few tests. It seems that there is some improvement with latency with an average of 115ns.