Failed BIOS Flash: AM3420-EW20P Desktop

carvio
carvio Member Posts: 1 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi all,

Awhile ago, I had completed a BIOS flash updating the system to P12.A2.  After this flash, I noticed that the Acer serial number was gone and the model of the system wasn't being reported as AM3420, but rather TC-105.  The Acer startup logo had changed.  Also, the rear audio ports ceased functioning at that time.  However, the machine booted and remained stable so I ignored the problems of the missing serial / model no. and audio ports.

Fast-forward to yesterday, I got it in my head to try and resolve these issues.  I was able to re-flash the BIOS using P12.A2 (from Acer website) but the problems remained.  Then I got the *ahem* bright idea to try and flash using the BIOS for Linux option available under the AM3420's BIOS section on the Acer site (P01.A1L) as now the machine is running Ubuntu 18.04 (with dual boot option for Windows 10).  I created a bootable DOS USB stick and reflashed the BIOS.  The process seemed a success until I rebooted.  Now the system hangs... no Acer logo, screen remains black (no illuminated back light either), the CPU fan spins and the power LED illuminates and is steady on.  The keyboard (PS2) will flash its three LEDs (num lock, etc) once at initial power on.

The beep codes seem to be consistent at 1-long 1-short, pause, 7-short 1-long, pause, 6-short.

I've been fiddling around with wincrisis and an old 1gb USB stick to no avail.  However, it is entirely possible that I do not have the correct filename for the ROM file and/or I'm not doing it right.  There's a plethora of information re: wincrisis but is inconsistent (some sources say to press ESC, others F10, insert, Win+B).  I've also unplugged / disconnected everything save for one stick of RAM, the CPU, the PS2 keyboard and the VGA (I've also tried the HDMI port).  Everything else is disconnected including the front-side USB header and audio ports (disconnected from motherboard).

I've also tried other tricks like the jumper to clear CMOS, replacing the coin-battery but met no success.

This is an Acer Aspire Desktop (AM3420-EW20P), the serial number on the case is unreadable.  The motherboard is an Acer AAHD3-VC sporting an AMD A8-5500 APU with Radeon HD 7560D.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

-carvio

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,845 Trailblazer
    edited January 2019
    Yep, you've bricked it.
    (1) What issue were you trying to fix with the PI2.A2?
    (2)  What was the original version?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ