is that normal for the acer nitro 5 overheat?

Options
awxiang
awxiang Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
i brought a acer nitro 5 with 8gb ram,128gb ssd,intel i5 8th,gtx 1050 4gd5 and build in cool boost .but when i play game like fornite the temperature will go until 98 degree which make me nervous about this.is it normal or should i went back to the official acer store to check?
*the device is just used at the 1st day

Best Answer

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,750 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @awxiang
    Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,750 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @awxiang
    Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    It isn't normal for the CPU to reach 98C. This is the thermal limit that the CPU will ever reach, but that means in order to maintain this 98C instead of going higher, the CPU has to slow itself down(this is called throttling).

It is true that 98C won't damage the CPU or any other components as @Jack22 said, but to make sure that the CPU maintains a longer life(higher heat will shorten its life even if it is by a bit) and best performance, the temperature shouldn't be higher than 85C on average.

To reduce the temperature you can try undervolting the CPU. Undervolting won't damage it in any way and it doesn't reduce performance. You can find many videos explaing how to undervolt the CPU with 3rd party software like ''ThrottleStop''.

If undervolting doesn't drop the temps under 85C average(temperature spikes of 90C+ are normal), I suggest you to contact Acer support and have the laptop repasted by them, because high temperatures usually are caused by poorly applied thermal paste.

You can re-apply the termal paste yourself if you are confident disassembling the laptop, but will void warranty(doesn't apply if you are in the US). You can use high quality thermal paste like thermal grizzly kryonaut or artctic MX-4.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!