Will Acer ever update default Intel graphics drivers to the new DCH ones?

XdxD
XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I read the changes being incorporated in latest DCH driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28514/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?v=t). Intel suggests using Manufacturer's drivers but my PCs latest one is from 2017. I know we have already talked before about this but if a new version promises more performance (like what AMD did with Fury-X GPU), why not have it? Will Acer ever update them? Some forums tell to use latest driver from Intel and not from manufacturer. May be updating to latest one will fix Acer's BlueLight filter feature to stay on when the toggle is at 'ON' position =) !

Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Only BIOS or Acer specific apps get updated my Acer (or any manufacturer). Drivers are given based on factory configuration when it rolled out; updating them is to be done by user, as needed, with updates from manufacturer.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • XdxD
    sri369 said:
    Only BIOS or Acer specific apps get updated my Acer (or any manufacturer). Drivers are given based on factory configuration when it rolled out; updating them is to be done by user, as needed, with updates from manufacturer.
    Hmm, Ok. Will update as soon as possible.
  • sri369
    XdxD said:
    sri369 said:
    Hmm, Ok. Will update as soon as possible.
    Update driver only as necessary, there is no need to update every time a manufacturer releases something.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • strider16
    strider16 Member Posts: 123 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    I installed the system and installed its new drivers. IMHO dch doesn't change a lot, performance and stability wize, at least in my usage, are quite the same. BUT, I had problems with audio drivers, some digital sound system from intel isn't rock stable.
    Nothing peaks at the same time...
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33054103

• XdxD
    strider16 said:
    I installed the system and installed its new drivers. IMHO dch doesn't change a lot, performance and stability wize, at least in my usage, are quite the same. BUT, I had problems with audio drivers, some digital sound system from intel isn't rock stable.
    Also disabled tab previews in latest update.
  • Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    i installed  the latest driver manually via the .inf method, ( which intel does not recommend) but intel graphics control panel could be opened only from the start menu.  right clicking the desktop has no CP option. there was no other problem in games etc..
    but i rolled back to the windows update version for now ...
    My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • strider16
     intel graphics control panel could be opened only from the start menu.  right clicking the desktop has no CP option
    I noticed it too. But then... all energy and performance options can be reached through windows, so I didn't perceive any drawback. Since it seems there is no much room for improvement in this driver, I will update it only at OS reinstalling, when needed. Nvidia instead, implemented freesync compability, so I will update someday their gpu driver, since I have a monitor for it.

• sri369
    @strider16
    Strider, I saw your user benchmark just now. It is good, but can certainly be improved - CPU can be further optimized with a custom power plan. And GPU can be further tuned using MSI Afterburner... if you wish to further optimize, that is.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • strider16
    sri369 said:
    @strider16
    Strider, I saw your user benchmark just now. It is good, but can certainly be improved - CPU can be further optimized with a custom power plan. And GPU can be further tuned using MSI Afterburner... if you wish to further optimize, that is.
    Thanks, I saw yours and took it as a baseline. Since mine wasn't too off, I think everything is ok.

I had some quirks while testing though. First, I noticed MSI Afterburner keeps taking 5~7% CPU time when it is running in background, making it a battery eater and a steady heater; I don't know yet which settings afterburner must have to apply the voltage curve I setted to GPU without taking all this CPU.

Then, userbenchmark wasn't testing the discrete gpu without an external monitor attached, what could had applied some overhead into CPU and GPU tests. Lastly, I think I was running park control and setted maximum cpu power to 99%. Considering I'm looking to keep this device in the long run, I'm trying to prioritize low temps and energy usage over raw performance.

Probably w10 is taking its little toll. W7 usually had ~47 processes running in background while idling in my desktop, in this laptop I wouldn't be bothered if it hovered at 65, but I won't try it.
    W10 has something around 110-135 depending on its mood, even after and I reinstalled and tuned it a bit...

And now I migrated OS install to an ssd, needing to refresh the test.

• sri369
    strider16 said:
    sri369 said:
    @strider16
    Thanks, I saw yours and took it as a baseline. Since mine wasn't too off, I think everything is ok.

I had some quirks while testing though.

Then, userbenchmark wasn't testing the discrete gpu without an external monitor attached, what could had applied some overhead into CPU and GPU tests. Lastly, I think I was running park control and setted maximum cpu power to 99%. Considering I'm looking to keep this device in the long run, I'm trying to prioritize low temps and energy usage over raw performance.

Probably w10 is taking its little toll. W7 usually had ~47 processes running in background while idling in my desktop, in this laptop I wouldn't be bothered if it hovered at 65, but I won't try it.
    W10 has something around 110-135 depending on its mood, even after and I reinstalled and tuned it a bit...

And now I migrated OS install to an ssd, needing to refresh the test.

First, I noticed MSI Afterburner keeps taking 5~7% CPU time when it is running in background, making it a battery eater and a steady heater; I don't know yet which settings afterburner must have to apply the voltage curve I setted to GPU without taking all this CPU.
    -- Pause the graph; this is not needed once you have it all set. Turn it on only when you need readings and then turn it off.

I think I was running park control and setted maximum cpu power to 99%. Considering I'm looking to keep this device in the long run, I'm trying to prioritize low temps and energy usage over raw performance.
    -- Use CPU at 100%, but set up the power in a lazy mode with the additional settings available from park control; this will keep it at lower frequencies bumping up to next step only when absolutely needed. Barely any performance hit, but lot cooler running CPUs are the effect with this.

W10 has something around 110-135
    -- You can remove everything from store; except for a couple items, rest all are unneccessary anyways. You can remove the store too if you would like that.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------