TC-865-NESelecti5 - SSD recommendations

Options
srgilbert
srgilbert Member Posts: 5 New User
Just purchased this desktop which comes with the standard 1TB SATA hard drive and would like to modernize via a bootable SSD.  There are a number of options out these - as I understand a 500MB SATA III SSD will work but its unclear what else I can go with.  The Crucial tool doesn't find a recommendation.  I've read that its possible to use a NVMe drive (I believe that is what its called).  I see that Crucial has the P1 QLC 3D NAND M.2 NVMe PCIe on sale - would that be a good choice and will it connect?  If it is a good choice what cable if any would be required to make this bootable and the 1 TB hard drive secondary?

Thanks - really appreciate the help

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited January 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    srgilbert 
    This model has One M.2 (2242/2280) for PCIe SSD and Intel Optane memory. Another, one M.2 (2230/1630) with USB2.0 for WLAN/Bluetooth.

There are three SATA slots, Also, Sata hard disk you can install up to 3TB.

SATA Cable

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited January 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    srgilbert 
    This model has One M.2 (2242/2280) for PCIe SSD and Intel Optane memory. Another, one M.2 (2230/1630) with USB2.0 for WLAN/Bluetooth.

There are three SATA slots, Also, Sata hard disk you can install up to 3TB.

SATA Cable

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• srgilbert
    Options
    Very helpful - it looks like I can take advantage of the speed found with NVMe drives.  Foe a 500MB drive any recommendations?
  • bkonicke
    bkonicke Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    Where is system documentation found for this model? Its support page only has regulatory docs. The pic above looks to be from a user guide.

thanks
  • Redviper9217
    Redviper9217 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Good info! Thanks!! :)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    The pics are from the service guide and aren't publicly available.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • 1937Dodge
    1937Dodge Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options
    How do you access the M2/ NVMe drive to do an install? The diagram is helpful in finding the slot now how do I access and install?  Do I need to remove the front panel, if so how?  A clearance problems that will limit length
  • billsey
    Options
    You'll have to remove the HDD bays to get access to that portion of the motherboard. Take the front bezel off and you should be able to see where the screws are to remove that platform the drives are mounted to. You may have to pull the ODD first, I can't remember for sure.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • dryeske
    dryeske Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have installed a 1 gig Intel PCIe ssd to the M.2 slot labeled #8 in the diagram above.  The bios sees the drive, but Windows 10 does not.  Any ideas?
  • srgilbert
    Options
    So I received my NVMe drive.  As the Acer desktop has not been powered up I was planning on installing the drive and disconnecting the 1TB hard drive.  I guess my question is where to copy the Windows bootable software from?  I'm not sure I have a 32GB thumb drive - can I burn this on a CD and let the system come up from there?  If so do I need to change bios to make that happen on the 1st boot?  Thanks
  • billsey
    Options
    You can burn an ISO but it won't fit on a CD, you'll need a DVD or DVD-DL if you don't have a thumb drive. You don't need 32GB, 4GB might fit, 8GB certainly will.
  • njman
    njman Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I understand that the M.2 slot supports PCIE SSD on this motherboard. Does the slot also support M.2 SATA SSD like MX500? Thanks!

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Hello @njman

According to the diagram/photo below, it appears your M.2 slot supports both. (M.2 PCIe NVMe or M.2 SATA)    I don't know if anyone has tried the MX500 yet so I can't say with certainty it will work, but it should.  For an extra $17.00 you could get the NVMe like in the link below.  It's up to you.

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-1TB-NAND-NVMe-PCIe/dp/B07J2WBKXF/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1548360269&sr=8-2&keywords=crucial+nvme&th=1

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • njman
    njman Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    JordanB said:
    Hello @njman

According to the diagram/photo below, it appears your M.2 slot supports both. (M.2 PCIe NVMe or M.2 SATA)    I don't know if anyone has tried the MX500 yet so I can't say with certainty it will work, but it should.  For an extra $17.00 you could get the NVMe like in the link below.  It's up to you.

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-1TB-NAND-NVMe-PCIe/dp/B07J2WBKXF/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1548360269&sr=8-2&keywords=crucial+nvme&th=1

Thanks a lot for the information! I already bought the MX500 SATA but the NVMe one is tempting!

According to the reviews on Amazon, the Crucial NVMe SSD does not come with retaining screws. Are retaining screws already on the Acer motherboard? If not, where can I get the retaining screws for a reasonable price, Lowe's, Ace Hardware?
  • JordanB
    edited January 2019
    Options

@njman

The only place that I've purchased M.2 SSD screws is online, but I would think any place that sells and services/repairs computers like Best Buy or maybe even Staples or Office Depot will have them.....or a local computer repair store.  I guess a hardware store might have them.  Not sure.  The links below should help with dimensions and purchasing.  I don't think your mainboard has the screw but not completely sure.  Some Crucial M.2 SSDs do come with screw.  Most Samsung M.2 SSDs don't.

https://www.moddiy.com/products/M2.0-x-3mm-Black-Screws-(CM2X3%2d3.3).html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M-2-SSD-MOUNTING-SCREWS-Crucial-MX200-PACK-OF-12-M2x3mm-Screw-New-/291771618598

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2RC-00MF-00007

• srgilbert
    Options
    So I have been successful installing the NVMe drive and getting Windows to install - yea...Going to look for a screw to secure the drive down - amazing that the motherboard does not come with one or the drive manufacturer.  So another question - once I secure the NVMe drive and button all back together including the 1TB Toshiba drive do I need to make any change to the bios or?  I assume I need to reformat that Toshiba drive but will there be a conflict on which is the boot drive or do I need to identify that via the bios setting?  Sorry - its been 10 years since I have played with this stuff.  Thanks
  • JordanB
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @srgilbert

Here's what I did......

1. I purchased two 16 GB USB flash drives.
    On one of them, I used the Acer Care Center app to create a USB recovery drive in case I ever wanted re-install Windows and all of the Acer stuff that came pre-installed with the computer.
    On the other one, I created Windows media using Microsoft's media creation tool so I could have vanilla Windows 10.

2. I backed up any of my important personal files to an external USB drive.

3. I shutdown the computer and unplugged it from the electrical outlet.

4. I used a wrist strap to help protect against static electricity.

5. I temporarily disconnected the SATA power cable from the HDD so it was offline.

6. I installed the SSD and secured it with a proper screw (see my previous post).

7. I put the side panel back on and inserted the Windows 10 USB flash drive and then turned on the computer and installed Windows

8.  I made sure Windows was working properly on my new SSD and rebooted the computer a couple of times to make sure everything was working ok.

9.  I shutdown the computer and unplugged it from electrical outlet and reconnected my HDD and then turned on computer and wiped the HDD....and used the HDD as a data drive.  I didn't have to make any changes to the BIOS.  However, I usually go in to BIOS settings and make sure the F12 boot menu is enabled, but if you follow my procedure, you won't need to make any changes to your BIOS settings.

Note: I have an Acer desktop but not tc-865 but it's all pretty much the same with any desktop.
  • srgilbert
    Options
    Managed to install the NVME card - no screw included so off to ACE Hardware and they has one with the aid of a couple washers - its installed and the box is up and running.  Much faster booting to the card rather than the 1TB hard drive.  I'm a happy pup.  Thanks to all that helped.  Much easier than thought.
  • Curt15
    Curt15 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    Hey, when you guys screwed the drive in did it require a standoff at all? and if so what size or whatever?
  • billsey
    Options
    The standoff is usually there, though the short M2x3mm screw is usually not.