Noctua NF-B9 redux-1600 PWM, 4-Pin, High-Performance Cooling Fan installed as CASE FAN.

daz4214
daz4214 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
I have a Acer Aspire T TC-865-NESelecti5 desktop, I installed the Noctua NF-b9 as a Case fan. I connected the 4-pin
to the motherboard. On power up I see the fan turn for a second then just stop which is the usual state of the fan.
I checked the BIOS and don't see any Fan info except for the CPU fan. Does anyone know if Noctua Fans work with my type of motherboard?,  or do I have a bad Fan?, or my case temp just has not got hot enough to turn the case fan on. I did run YOUTUBE video's on both monitors at the same time for some time to produce heat, but I never see the case fan come on other than a second on power up.

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I believe that is possible, since the PWM pin is at the edge, though it'll run at full speed all the time. Here's a diagram:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • daz4214

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Thank you for the info, very helpful.

Answers

• billsey
    If things are working as they should, the fan should spin up to full speed early in POST and then slow to a minimum until there's enough heat to drive it on again. Are you plugged into the SYS_FAN connector?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • daz4214

Tinkerer

Yes I have plugged Fan into the SYS_FAN connector on the motherboard. Looking at the BIOS, There is an Advanced  option where you can look at the status of the Fans in unit. The CPU fan is listed and gives the RPM. The SYSTEM FAN is listed as N/A. Even though there is a 4-pwm connector on the motherboard, I do not think that this motherboard/BIOS supports the PWM function. IT looks like I'm going to send this Fan back for a refund. I'm going to try an order another case fan that only has the 3-pin connector and try that
    in the unit, unless you have another idea.  Thanks for your help and info. 
  • daz4214

Tinkerer

Will there be any problem with plugging in a 3-pin non-PWM fan into
    that same 4-pin SYS_FAN connector on the motherboard. Will it fit and function ok?
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    I believe that is possible, since the PWM pin is at the edge, though it'll run at full speed all the time. Here's a diagram:

• daz4214

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Thank you for the info, very helpful.