Acer E5-576G - What happened to my network?

TomHF
TomHF Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
My Acer Aspire started a Windows 10 update yesterday and apparently updated to version 1803. I took a looong time for the update and I did not see any obvious difference after the update. This morning I tried to get into my local network which I had set up between the Acer and two desktop computers. I can see the 2 desktops in my network but the Acer is no longer showing. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,844 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Well, that wasn't very convenient. So typical of these Win10 updates I'm afraid.  :/ Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that aren't currently available'. Scroll down to uncheck the box for fast startup to disable fast boot. Then shut down the machine. Turn it on again. If it fixes the problem, Keep fast boot disabled. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TomHF

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that aren't currently available'. Scroll down to uncheck the box for fast startup to disable fast boot. Then shut down the machine. Turn it on again. If it fixes the problem, Keep fast boot disabled. Jack E/NJ

Thanks for the reply JackE.  It turns out that the  1803 update removes the homegroup network abilities and this is what I have always used.  I had to reset all of the network connections to put the Acer back into a network with my desktops.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Well, that wasn't very convenient. So typical of these Win10 updates I'm afraid.  :/ Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TomHF

Tinkerer

Just as a point of interest, the upgrade changed something else in my configurations. When I started the laptop this morning it came on with an entirely new desktop. As a new user of win 10 and on laptops in general, I had no idea of what had happened to my old desktop. After searching for answers online, I discovered that it had gone into "tablet mode". It took me a while to discover this and once I switched back to "desktop" mode all is well again. More kudos for Win 10 upgrades.