Touchpad Driver issue - Swift 3 SF315-52

Options
WarrantyService
WarrantyService Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Long post, I give all the info I have:

So I have the Swift 3 with i3-8130u, Optane accelerated HDD and 4GB of RAM. A guy installed Ubuntu without knowing what he's doing and completely butchered my already existing install (needed it for programming). 

I installed Windows 10 back after that, touchpad worked in setup (important point for later) and in Windows. 

I downloaded the drivers from Acer support, have the latest BIOS and so on and started installing them in order (chipset, VGA, sound, etc - you get the picture).

At some point my touchpad stopped working so I had to get my friend's wireless mouse to continue. Mouse works fine, touchpad - doesn't budge at all. The drivers from Acer's website turns out (I looked in the batch file, that's what it says) are just a few hundred kilobytes and point to an OEM folder on C:/ that I obviously no longer have. Synaptics doesn't offer a generic driver either, what do I do in this case? WHERE DO I GET A WORKING DRIVER AT ALL?! 

I tried the driver from the website anyway and it installed - have no question marks in device manager. However, it's installed under the HID category and in Pointing Devices I just have two USB mice! (the wireless one and the touchpad apparently) The touchpad does NOT work  whatever I do. Tried not installing anything and letting Windows Update handle everything - same story - have a Synaptics HID Device under HID devices, just a mouse in Pointing devices and touchpad is borked completely. 

Tried formatting C:/ and reinstalling Windows - now it doesn't even work in Windows Setup, let alone after the installation... Please help, I am stumped here. 

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    You could try removing the USB mouse, go to BIOS and move to Main tab, check whether the Touchpad is in Advanced mode, if it's in Basic mode, switch to Advanced mode and see whether it helps.

• WarrantyService
    Options
    Hi,
    You could try removing the USB mouse, go to BIOS and move to Main tab, check whether the Touchpad is in Advanced mode, if it's in Basic mode, switch to Advanced mode and see whether it helps.

Hi, thanks for the reply! I don't have that option in the BIOS. Removing the mouse and uninstalling the driver doesn't work. The touchpad doesn't work and the driver actually doesn't get deleted from Device Manager even if I specifically tick the box that says to delete it! It just comes back after a reboot...

I need some help from official Acer employees if possible. I need the driver that nobody supplies if you preinstall for a reason that is beyond me. Or a ready Windows image with the drivers preinstalled - I know they can supply that, they have those. My laptop came with Windows 10 so I have paid for it to work properly! 
  • WarrantyService
    Options
    Bump - anyone?