I am replacing the primary drive with a SSD, no SATA cable for the HDD to be secondary drive

Shania9696
Shania9696 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
I have installed a Samsung EVO 860 SATA SDD drive after cloning the OS, all fine. I have moved the HDD cables to the SDD as Primary drive and now want to make the original HDD the secondary storage drive. I have a power cable to use, but no extra SATA cable or have any idea how (if I can) to buy a SATA cable and hook up the HDD. Can you please help. I have an Acer TC780 i7 7700 with GTX 745 16gb RAM (rubbish card). Please help. Thks

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited January 2019
    You can purchase a SATA cable online. Just search in google for ''sata 3 cable'. There should several SATA 3 connectors on the motherboard. You connect one end of the cable to the motherboard and the other end to the drive and vollà.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    The TC-780 has two SATA connectors on the motherboard (one for ODD, one for HDD) and an M.2 slot for a SSD. If you purchased a SATA 2.5" SSD instead of an M.2 you'll have to disconnect the ODD in order to connect the old HDD. If that's not to your liking you can add more SATA connections by putting a SATA card into your 1X slot.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Shania9696
    Shania9696 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Can you please explain where and what the 1x slot looks like please
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    It's the short one (19):

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.