Aspire 4220. Tried to upgrade RAM, now nothing works

cliffsloane
cliffsloane Member Posts: 10 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have as a spare computer an old and funky Aspire 4220 that had two RAM modules of 1 GB each. I wanted to upgrade, so I found the specs (PC2-5300S-667 Hz) in the online manual, ordered a pair of 2 GB modules, inserted them and booted up. Tried booting up. Tried running boot CDs. DOS-based programs from the UBCD worked, but the Linux ones (gparted, etc) all had kernel panic. I tried booting to live Linux CDs and kernel panic when I tried installing. I then went to a boot CD program, XFdisk and deleted the entire partition, reinstalled a new one (full disk) and formatted it to NTFS. No change.
The memory sticks were new and passed the boot CD version of Windows Memory Diagnostic.
So what are my options?
1. Can I edit the BIOS or UEFI settings? Will that make the difference?
2. Is there something arcane in the memory specs I didn't notice?
3. Is there something in the MBR that I can alter to make a difference?
4. Am I stuck just throwing away the new RAM and using those two 1-GB sticks? It'll work for a lightweight Linux or Windows 7, but not much beyond that.

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,297 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You're referring to the pre-allotted memory of the video! Onboard video cards use part of the ram memory. For example: if you select only 64mb, your notebook will have 3072-64 = 3008mb of memory; if you select 256, your notebook will have 3072-256 = 2816mb of ram available! This ram used by the video card will be used in games and other programs. If you do not use the notebook in games, I suggest you leave on 64mb, as this will free up more RAM for the system.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Can you access the bios? Is the ram memory identified in the information?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • cliffsloane
    edited January 2019
    Can you access the bios? Is the ram memory identified in the information?
    No information. I can get into BIOS easily, but it does not allow me to switch to UEFI. There is no RAM information at all. Would the BIOS version help?
  • Have you checked whether the ram memory is identified in the bios information section? What is the specification of ram memory that came installed in the notebook originally?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• cliffsloane
    Have you checked whether the ram memory is identified in the bios information section? What is the specification of ram memory that came installed in the notebook originally?
    I could not find the information in BIOS. THe specs I used were printed on the modules that came with the laptop, and it were those numbers I used to buy the new RAM. 
    The original said this:
    1 GB @Rx8 PC2-5300S-555-12-EO
    The ones I bought said:
    2GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667Mhz 200pin Laptop SODIMM Memory RAM PC2-5300
    All that is differentr is the section
    12-EO
    Is this enough to make them incompatible?

• Download this app to see the memory your model supports: https://br.crucial.com/bra/pt/memory-info?cm_re=top-nav-_-flyout-memory-_-br-memory
    Send me a photo later

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• cliffsloane
    edited January 2019
    Have you checked whether the ram memory is identified in the bios information section? What is the specification of ram memory that came installed in the notebook originally?
    The manual doesn't even give this much detail. It only specifies PC2-5300 200 pin SoDIMM 667 MHz
  • It seems to be compatible yes! Have you tested the memories individually?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• cliffsloane
    That may be my next step, boot with an old and a new one. Later, gotta teach!!
  • cliffsloane
    Senhor Egydio, I strongly suspect that the problem is with my mainboard. Consider this:
    Two new modules (Crucial), and both failed the Windows Memory Diagnostic.
    Both failed in the Stride-6 test and passed the other five.
    After two passes, one had 353 errors, the other 145 errors.
    All errors were in the same general address area. All errors were the same (expected ffffffff actual ff00ffff).
    This seems to me to be a probem that the system has reading extended memory. I doubt that it involves the modules themselves.

Your opinion?
  • Have you ever tested the ram modules individually? What is the bios version?
    Updating bios may add compatibility for new hardware, but it is a risky procedure: https://www.acer.com/ac/pt/BR/content/support-product/8?b=1

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• cliffsloane
    Have you ever tested the ram modules individually? What is the bios version?
    Updating bios may add compatibility for new hardware, but it is a risky procedure: https://www.acer.com/ac/pt/BR/content/support-product/8?b=1
    Muito obrigado, Senhor!
    I tried the rigorous testing approach as you suggested. The problem is in the DIMM 2 slot!
    My old 1 GB modules are error free in both slots.
    Both of the new 2 GB modules are error free in slot 1, but have errors in the Stride-6 test (135 and 48 errors).
    If I put one 2 GB module in Slot 1 and the old 1 GB module in Slot 2, it is error free.
    That means I can only use one of the new ones, but I can safely use 3 GB of RAM.

Now, about the BIOS. The update is v. 3632, I have 3618. Is it worth it? The risk is that I may kill a 3 GB machine, and it seems unlikely that the update will fix this problem.

Once again, thank you for pushing me to test more rigorously. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    edited January 2019
    About slot 1, do you have the same errors when the 1gb ram memories are plugged into it? Bios can add compatibility with new hardware. But it is an extremely risky procedure!
    On slot 1, you can try cleaning, see:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• cliffsloane
    edited January 2019
    About slot 1, do you have the same errors when the 1gb ram memories are plugged into it? Bios can add compatibility with new hardware. But it is an extremely risky procedure!
    I cleaned it with an old toothbrush. I can try it again with paper.
    The problem is Slot 2, the upper one, and the errors are only in 2 GB modules. So now, I have one of the new 2 GB sticks in Slot 1, and in the problematic Slot 2, I have the old 1 GB stick, error free. It is working, but I can try the paper technique.
    My conclusion is that 3 GB is OK, and not worth it to try updating BIOS.
  • Commodore_1995#
    edited January 2019
    It's strange that this slot has an error with the 2GB memory, but it does not show the same error with the 1GB memory!
    Did you test both memories in the other slot as well?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• cliffsloane
    It's strange that this slot has an error with the 2GB memory, but it does not show the same error with the 1GB memory!
    Did you test both memories in the other slot as well?
    Strange indeed. All four sticks are error-free in Slot 1 when I only test for Slot 1.
    Both 1 GB sticks are error-free in Slot 2 when I only test for Slot 2.
    Both 2 GB sticks have errors in Slot 2 when I only test for Slot 2 with the Stride-6 test (135 errors and 48 errors)
    Any combination of a 1 GB with a 2 GB stick are error free as long as the 2 GB stick is in Slot 1.
    So I conclude it is in the mainboard circuitry. THis mainboard has had other problems, so it is the most likely conclusion.
  • cliffsloane
    Mestre Egydio, another question that may have something to do.
    The BIOS allows me to set Video memory at 64, 128 or 256 MB. The default seems to be 64. I tried chaging it to 256 and I could not tell any difference. 

Is there a difference? What are the benefits and disadvantages of keeping it at 256?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    You're referring to the pre-allotted memory of the video! Onboard video cards use part of the ram memory. For example: if you select only 64mb, your notebook will have 3072-64 = 3008mb of memory; if you select 256, your notebook will have 3072-256 = 2816mb of ram available! This ram used by the video card will be used in games and other programs. If you do not use the notebook in games, I suggest you leave on 64mb, as this will free up more RAM for the system.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer