Issues with predator helios 300 (fan buzzing, keyboard enter key, heat and freezing scroll)

Options
Fdg
Fdg Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello
I am having quite a few issues with my Acer Predator Helios 300 PH317-52 bought about 2 weeks ago. 
The cpu fan makes a quiet low pitched buzz when the rpms are below 2000. This is my first gaming laptop so I don't know if this is something which is to be expected or if there is a fault. 
The enter key on the bottom right of the keyboard sticks. There is friction with the key on the case when I push it down. 
The fans speed up and cpu temps go to 60 C sometimes when I'm web browsing which is unusual.
The touchpad scroll on chrome freezes sometimes. The screen had frozen a couple of times as well but this issue stopped after I updated the graphics drivers. 
Are other users experiencing this issue as well? If so please let me know on this thread. 
I can return this computer but I need to know if this is a common issue to decide if I should swap it out for the same laptop or get a different one. I read a review commenting on the build quality of the acer predator helios 300 and I wonder if I would get similar issues again if I bought another one of these laptops. 

Answers

• V4RM4
    V4RM4 Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hey @Fdg ,
    Since your laptop is within warranty, I highly recommend you to just reset your laptop, install all the required updates and try again. The enter key issue is not common and sounds a bit odd, if typing it really seems to be causing an issue, you could replace it for another one. The heating is most probably because the thermal paste might not have been properly applied on the CPU, which can lead to heating up even while small tasks such as browsing or playing a song, which could also be reason for fan buzzing. Like I said, if things don't seem well after the reset, go ahead and get it replaced. It's always better be happy than be sorry.

Good luck bud!
    If my comment has helped you, remember to hit "Yes" on whether this answered your question. Help a fellow user out!

Helios 500 <3 , CS Major , IT Pro, but most importantly human being.  :3
    “The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something."
    V.4.R.M.4.
    p.s: sUbScRiBe To pEwDiEpiE  :p 
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    Fdg said:
    Hello
    I am having quite a few issues with my Acer Predator Helios 300 PH317-52 bought about 2 weeks ago.

NOT COMMON
    The cpu fan makes a quiet low pitched buzz when the rpms are below 2000. This is my first gaming laptop so I don't know if this is something which is to be expected or if there is a fault. 
    The enter key on the bottom right of the keyboard sticks. There is friction with the key on the case when I push it down.
    The touchpad scroll on chrome freezes sometimes. The screen had frozen a couple of times as well but this issue stopped after I updated the graphics drivers.

COMMON - happens at times based on usage - chrome is a heavy browser
    The fans speed up and cpu temps go to 60 C sometimes when I'm web browsing which is unusual.

Since you mentioned this is a new one, I would recommend getting this replaced. I am suspecting hardware issues with respect to the fans and enter key.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Options
    I support 100% on what @sri369 said above if it was just freezing and thermal issues its one thing but brand new and hardware issues it's a completely different issue contact you nearest acer support center for a repair/possible replacement

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    Fdg said:
    Hello
    Are other users experiencing this issue as well? If so please let me know on this thread. 
    I can return this computer but I need to know if this is a common issue to decide if I should swap it out for the same laptop or get a different one. I read a review commenting on the build quality of the acer predator helios 300 and I wonder if I would get similar issues again if I bought another one of these laptops. 

chrome is known to increase cpu utilisation, this could be the reason for high temps spurts. visit the same page with the MS edge browser and see if the temps rise as much. post back your observation.

re: enter key friction, either some debris has got stuck between the plastic cap of enter key and the kb body or the alignment has gone bad. can be rectified by removing the cap and refixing it back properly.

My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • Fdg
    Options
    Fdg said:
    Hello

chrome is known to increase cpu utilisation, this could be the reason for high temps spurts. visit the same page with the MS edge browser and see if the temps rise as much. post back your observation.

re: enter key friction, either some debris has got stuck between the plastic cap of enter key and the kb body or the alignment has gone bad. can be rectified by removing the cap and refixing it back properly.

how do i remove it and refix it?
  • Fdg
    Options
    Fdg said:
    Hello

This is a powerful gaming laptop, it should cut through web browsing like butter without much cpu utilisation. 
    I've had the enter key issue since buying the laptop so I doubt that it has anything to do with debris.
  • Fdg
    Options
    In fact the temperature issue could be to do with a low fan speed when coolboost is off. The low rpms could be leading to poor ventilation. 
    When coolboost is on this doesn't happen. 
  • Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    Fdg said:
    Fdg said:
    Hello

This is a powerful gaming laptop, it should cut through web browsing like butter without much cpu utilisation. 
    I've had the enter key issue since buying the laptop so I doubt that it has anything to do with debris.
    re: enter key, it could be due to misalignent.
    take it to the service centre and get it rectified there . most probably they will do it on the spot.

re: temps spurt in chrome, as i said try with edge browser the same page, chrome is known to sometimes increase the cpu utilisation which can momentarily increase the cpu temp for a short duration.

you can also consider repasting the cpu / gpu from the service centre.

or you can opt for replacement if you wish, but what gurantee is there the replaced unit will not be a used or repaired unit.?

if otherwise your laptop is working fine then get the enter key properly fixed and cpu repasted. ( both minor issues)

My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    or you can opt for replacement if you wish, but what gurantee is there the replaced unit will not be a used or repaired unit.?
    If he is in the US, he has to be given a "brand new" unit, typically when he is within the 2 weeks timeframe. He cannot be given a refurb. Also, in most places, between 2 and 4 weeks, they allow for exchange to a different make/model without any penalty.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Fdg
    Options
    As it is a new unit which I may end up returning, I have not insured it with a plan separate from home insurance. What measures are taken to ensure that the laptop will stay safe if I send it in for repair? Does Acer insure the delivery box when I send over the laptop? 

• Fdg
    Options
    Fdg said:
    Fdg said:
    Hello

re: enter key, it could be due to misalignent.
    take it to the service centre and get it rectified there . most probably they will do it on the spot.

re: temps spurt in chrome, as i said try with edge browser the same page, chrome is known to sometimes increase the cpu utilisation which can momentarily increase the cpu temp for a short duration.

you can also consider repasting the cpu / gpu from the service centre.

if otherwise your laptop is working fine then get the enter key properly fixed and cpu repasted. ( both minor issues)

I spoke to Acer support, they said that they do not do same day repairs. I live in the UK. 
  • Fdg
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I read another article discussing coil whine on laptops, but I would assume that this noise is different from that because it only happens when the fan speeds are low. 
  • Fdg
    Options
    I think a 15 inch laptop would be more portable than my 17 inch one. Maybe I should just return it.
    Do I get charged for warranty repairs?
  • Fdg
    Options
    I had a freezing screen but that issue has stopped since updating the graphics drivers. I suspect that it was an issue to do with dgpu utilisation. 
  • Fdg
    Options
    I was thinking of wedging out the enter key with a card but I don't know how to realign keys so it is probably better for me to leave it to an expert. 
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Options
    As i said above the best solution it's to return it to the store where you purchased it and ask for a replacement

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Fdg
    Options
    xapim said:
    As i said above the best solution it's to return it to the store where you purchased it and ask for a replacement
    This product was bought as a gift by someone who lives far away and so I wont be able to return it on my own. I will have to wait for them to help me out with this. I am thankful that Costco has a 3 month returns policy on electronics.
    The CPU temperature went up to 60 C when I was using the edge browser, so this is not an issue with chrome.