My acer aspire vn7 593g shut down suddenly while gaming

Jason_xX
Jason_xX Member Posts: 26 Troubleshooter
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Whenever I am playing games using  the 1060 gpu and laptop plugged, the laptop just shut down around 10 mins later. Shut down suddenly without any warning. And I have to turn it on manually by pressing the power buttons few times. I checked the temp while playing games these are 7x degree Celsius for both the cpu and gpu.
I couldn't find solutions to solve this problem. Need help.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Go to C:/windows/minidump and delete all files without the 3 most recent ones. Download and run 'whocrashed' and report back the error it shows.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    Have you undervolted the CPU?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Jason_xX
    ven98 said:
    Go to C:/windows/minidump and delete all files without the 3 most recent ones. Download and run 'whocrashed' and report back the error it shows.
    Thanks. However, I can't see the minidump file in windows. I tried to undervolt the cpu and also the gpu but the laptop still shut down itself. 
  • ven98
    By asking whether you have undervolted the CPU, I meant that in some occasions people undervolt by too much, which causes system instability and things like sudden shutdown occur. Was the CPU undervolted when you experienced the crashes and if yes, by how much?

If there is no files in the minidump folder, that means the OS didn't have time to create an error log.
    Go to control panel>large/small icons>system>advanced system settings>advanced>start up and recovery settings make sure that write an event to the system log is enabled and automatically restart is disabled.
    Now instead of restarting it will display a BSOD with an error, as well as write an error log in the minidump. Restart the PC after the error and run 'whocrashed'.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Jason_xX
    ven98 said:
    By asking whether you have undervolted the CPU, I meant that in some occasions people undervolt by too much, which causes system instability and things like sudden shutdown occur. Was the CPU undervolted when you experienced the crashes and if yes, by how much?

If there is no files in the minidump folder, that means the OS didn't have time to create an error log.
    Go to control panel>large/small icons>system>advanced system settings>advanced>start up and recovery settings make sure that write an event to the system log is enabled and automatically restart is disabled.
    Now instead of restarting it will display a BSOD with an error, as well as write an error log in the minidump. Restart the PC after the error and run 'whocrashed'.

I usually undervolt the cpu for 120mV, but the laptop still shut down without undervolting the cpu and gpu.

I followed the steps but the laptop still shut down immediately when I am playing game. And the laltop didn't create a minidump file inside windows.
  • ven98
    Does the problem occur when the laptop is on battery(not plugged in)?

Are you sure the temperatures of the CPU and GPU don't exceed 70C?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Jason_xX
    ven98 said:
    Does the problem occur when the laptop is on battery(not plugged in)?

Are you sure the temperatures of the CPU and GPU don't exceed 70C?
    It only occurs when the laptop is plugged and using the 1060 gpu.

The temp exceeds 70C but under 80C.
  • ven98
    To me it seems that something is wrong with the power distribution. It could be that the battery doesn't provide enough power to the system on full load(the power is still provided by the battery when the system is plugged in). Too see if that is the problem you can try downclocking the GPU with MSI afterburner. With this the GPU will use less power and if the issue does not occur, then that is the problem.

The problem might also be a bad VRM of the GPU. 

Before doing this you can try resetting the battery although I doubt that will help.

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

I assume you haven't recieved the device with this issue, as you don't mention if the problem appeared recently or you got the laptop this way. Has anything else happened before on this device before this problem to appear?

I think the issue you have is most likely to be on a hardware level.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Jason_xX
    edited January 2019
    ven98 said:
    To me it seems that something is wrong with the power distribution. It could be that the battery doesn't provide enough power to the system on full load(the power is still provided by the battery when the system is plugged in). Too see if that is the problem you can try downclocking the GPU with MSI afterburner. With this the GPU will use less power and if the issue does not occur, then that is the problem.

The problem might also be a bad VRM of the GPU. 

Before doing this you can try resetting the battery although I doubt that will help.

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

I assume you haven't recieved the device with this issue, as you don't mention if the problem appeared recently or you got the laptop this way. Has anything else happened before on this device before this problem to appear?

I think the issue you have is most likely to be on a hardware level.

I bought this laptop in Sep 2017, and I can play games on it before (laptop plugged). But in the time between July and October, 2018, I seldom use my laptop, only open it for a few times without playing games. And starting form October 2018, I found that my laptop shut down everytime I want to play games with laptop plugged.

For the afterburner, is decreasing the memory clock (MHz) the same as downclocking the gpu?
  • ven98
    Jason_xX said:

For the afterburner, is decreasing the memory clock (MHz) the same as downclocking the gpu?
    Yes.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Jason_xX
    edited January 2019
    I set the graphics setting to low when I am playing games and downclocking gpu for 300MHz and undervolt cpu. Then the laptop didn’t shut down and gpu usage is around 40. And the temps are around 60C.

But when I make the graphic setting to high, the gpu usage increase and temp increases to 70C. And the laptop shut down few mins later.
  • ven98
    Then yes, the problem is within the GPU. I don't think a bugged VBIOS can cause this.

Whatever the problem is it isn't from a software, so there is no way to fix, which means you have to contact Acer and request a repair. Hopefully, you are in the same country you bought the laptop from. If yes, thay means you have 2 years warranty.

The only thing we can do is to find if the temperature is causing this(if it is temperature this could be a defective sensor) or when the power rises above a certain level. To do so increase the frequency to a level where the temperature doesn't reach 70C(around 67-69C is best). If it doesn't turn off block the intake air vents(just put the device on a bed) and wait for the temperature to rise(that won't damage anything, as the CPU will throttle down when it reaches 97C. The actual temperature limit is much higher). If the device turns off as soon as you block the vents and reaches 70C+, then the issue could be a sensor that is responsible for protecting the GPU from dying because of heat and maybe there is a way to fix around that.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Jason_xX
    edited January 2019
    Besides, in few months before, I can play games on my laptop when the temp reached 90C.

Will resetting the laptop(reset the laptop without deleting the documents) help?
  • ven98
    Did you try my suggestion?

Resetting windows won't help in this situatuon, but who knows won't hurt to try.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Jason_xX
    edited January 2019
    Playing gpu demanding game i made the temp for the cpu to be 65 and gpu 72 . And it turned off.

I undervolted the cpu turned off the turbo boost off and undervolted the gpu and downclocking the gpu during that time
  • ven98
    But did you do it by following the suggestion in my previous post?
    ven98 said:
    Then yes, the problem is within the GPU. I don't think a bugged VBIOS can cause this.

Whatever the problem is it isn't from a software, so there is no way to fix, which means you have to contact Acer and request a repair. Hopefully, you are in the same country you bought the laptop from. If yes, thay means you have 2 years warranty.

The only thing we can do is to find if the temperature is causing this(if it is temperature this could be a defective sensor) or when the power rises above a certain level. To do so increase the frequency to a level where the temperature doesn't reach 70C(around 67-69C is best). If it doesn't turn off block the intake air vents(just put the device on a bed) and wait for the temperature to rise(that won't damage anything, as the CPU will throttle down when it reaches 97C. The actual temperature limit is much higher). If the device turns off as soon as you block the vents and reaches 70C+, then the issue could be a sensor that is responsible for protecting the GPU from dying because of heat and maybe there is a way to fix around that.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Jason_xX
    I just opened the game and monitor the temp by opening the game and waited till the laptop turned itself off. I didn't block the vents.

Do you mean just increasing the frequency of the gpu without opening games?
  • ven98
    No, I meant to decrease the frequency to a point were the temperature will be around 67C and then block off the vents to see if it will crash, when it goes higher.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Jason_xX
    I lower the memory clock and the lowest I can make is 72C.
  • ven98
    I am talking about the GPU core clock.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system