HELIOS 500 buy now?

SugeWhite
SugeWhite Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi guys just looking for opinions.
Ive got my heart set in buying this:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-predator-helios-500-17-3-intel-core-i7-gtx-1070-gaming-laptop-1-tb-hdd-256-gb-ssd-10180735-pdt.html

£1799.99 but with some discounts I have bringing it to £1615.
My main question to you guys is would you buy now or hang fire until February when RTX cards release in laptops. I've noticed 'coming soon' lables on lots of laptops with RTX2060's for around the same price (not the Helios 500 which for its cooling I really wanted). 
Basically going to hit the complete order now depending on what you guys advise. 

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    RTXs for laptops will be max-q. For RTX 2060 you are looking at 90W power consumtion compared 160W of the desktop variant. The boost frequency will be 1200MHz compared to 1680MHz of the desktop, so it won't be better than GTX 1070.

I don't know if RTX 2070 mobile is worth the wait, but it will be a MAX-q design as well with max power consumption of 115W and 1440MHz boost clock. It will be better than 1070, but by around 15-20% and if there will be a helios 500 with rtx 2070 it certainly will be more expensive.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    RTXs for laptops will be max-q. For RTX 2060 you are looking at 90W power consumtion compared 160W of the desktop variant. The boost frequency will be 1200MHz compared to 1680MHz of the desktop, so it won't be better than GTX 1070.

I don't know if RTX 2070 mobile is worth the wait, but it will be a MAX-q design as well with max power consumption of 115W and 1440MHz boost clock. It will be better than 1070, but by around 15-20% and if there will be a helios 500 with rtx 2070 it certainly will be more expensive.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• SugeWhite
    Thanks for the informative answer, 
    Guess I'll go ahead and buy it 😬😬. 
    Cheers. 
  • ven98
    Here you can find the specs. It seems nvidia has released the specs on their website.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/gaming-laptops/20-series/
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• SugeWhite
    ven98 said:
    Here you can find the specs. It seems nvidia has released the specs on their website.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/gaming-laptops/20-series/
    Thanks, I'm not that clued up to actually know whst I'm looking at 😳
  • ven98
    Go at the bottom of the page and you will see view full specs.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• SugeWhite
    ven98 said:
    Go at the bottom of the page and you will see view full specs.
    If I'm looking at it right, what you said is correct. 
  • Schnaz
    Schnaz Member Posts: 83 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    How did you get price drop to 1600?