Swift 3 SF315 -52 Problem with SSD upgrade

design120
design120 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello,

I have Acer Swift 3 SF315-25 with i5, 8 GB ram and 16 GB optane + 1 TB hdd. Im trying to replace the HDD with a 256 SSD samsung EVO 840. For some reason when I switch the drives, Im not able to even get to the windows setup or OS. I can see the SSD drive in BIOS but not able to boot from it. Changed the partition to MBR or GUID with no luck. I guess it has something to do with the original HDD being in RAID mode with the Optane, but not sure how to deal with that. Does anybody have an advice? Removing the optane didnt help either. 

Thak you!

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I think it'd be easier to migrate the bigger HDD's ACER-flavored Windows system onto the smaller EVO SSD using freeware partitioning tools, for example, https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/clone-larger-hdd-to-smaller-ssd.html . Since your system can support two 2.5" drives, you can do this with both drives internally connected or the EVO connected with a USB to SATA3 HDD adapter. Once migrated, you should be able to temporarily disable the HDD and boot from the EVO. If successful, you can probably remove the optane since it can't help the EVO do any better. Then use the HDD as a D drive while saving its hidden ACER recovery partition if you ever need it again. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    (1) How did you migrate the HDD system to the SSD?
    (2) Did you try to change the BIOS SATA mode in the main tab to ACHI?
    (3) Did you remove the optane card since the EVO won't be enhanced by it?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• design120
    Hi, 
    Thank you for replying. 

1- I didn't migrate the OS, I was planning on installing a fresh copy. 
    2- Yes, I changed SATA mode to ACHI, no luck. The same EVO boots my desktop with no problems. The desktop is also with 16 GB Optane
    3- Yes, removed the optane module, but still didn't boot from the SSD.
  • JackE
    (1) If you didn't migrate, you can only install a fresh copy of the ACER-flavored Win10 version by purchasing the ACER recovery media that  is based on your machine's serial number id (SNID) and its RAID mode. The ACER-flavored Win10 is different than the Microsoft generic Win10 version if you used its media creation tool.
    (2) Did you set and save a BIOS supervisor password, then re-enter the BIOS menu to disable secure boot and try to rearrange the boot order so that the EVO is on top? Does the EVO even show up in the BOOT order?
    (3) If the EVO does show up in the boot order, you can try to break the RAID by temporarily disabling the HDD

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• design120
    Great advice. I didn't know the windows is different. The evo shows in the bios. Do you think replacing the 16 GB Optane with  NVMe SSD or a M.2 SATA SSD  would be easier/better?  I assume I would still have to purchase the Acer recovery media in order to install the OS on the M.2 SATA, correct?
    Thank you for your expertise. 
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    I think it'd be easier to migrate the bigger HDD's ACER-flavored Windows system onto the smaller EVO SSD using freeware partitioning tools, for example, https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/clone-larger-hdd-to-smaller-ssd.html . Since your system can support two 2.5" drives, you can do this with both drives internally connected or the EVO connected with a USB to SATA3 HDD adapter. Once migrated, you should be able to temporarily disable the HDD and boot from the EVO. If successful, you can probably remove the optane since it can't help the EVO do any better. Then use the HDD as a D drive while saving its hidden ACER recovery partition if you ever need it again. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• design120
    Thank you! I really appreciate your advice. 
  • TempForGijja
    TempForGijja Member Posts: 1 New User
    design120 said:
    Thank you! I really appreciate your advice. 
    Can I know did you resolve your issues by migrating the system as of following comment by JackE ?