My A515-51 is not charging

mamamitchell
mamamitchell Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
My A515-51 stopped charging yesterday. I think it's a bad connection between the jack and the port because sometimes it will charge for a few seconds when the cord is moved. I bought it in April 2018, so it's still under warranty, but when I enter my serial number in support it says it was bought in June of 2017. I'm not sure why because I'm fairly certain I registered it within the first day or two of purchasing it, through one of the Acer apps that came installed on the laptop. I've submitted my proof of purchase and am waiting for it to be verified so I can talk to support, but I can't afford to wait that long to get help. I require this laptop for work today and was wondering if anyone had any ideas for what might get it to charge. Like a safe way to clean the connections or some way to determine if it's a bad port or a bad cord.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 4,002 Pathfinder
    @mamamitchell
    Once you upload the proof of purchase it will take 24 hour to be get validated. So if it is 24 hours than i would request you to call Acer support. If you think the problem is only with the cable explain it to the Acer support people they will help you for sure.
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • mamamitchell

Tinkerer

@Jack22 Like I said, the whole reason I posted here is because I'm waiting for verification and looking for things to try while I wait for it to go through. Thanks for your quick answer, anyway.
  • Jack22
    @mamamitchell
    May i know when did you upload the proof of purchase?
  • mamamitchell

Tinkerer

@jack22 Today. Maybe an hour ago. Believe me, it's not even close to long enough for verification to go through. My battery isn't going to last much longer since it hasn't been charging since yesterday afternoon. Do you have any advice about cleaning or testing the ac adapter, cord, and port?
  • Jack22
    @mamamitchell
    power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin hole and press and hold it for 30 sec.
    Also try to uninstall the battery driver from device manager and restart the unit.
    Since you upload the proof today , call Acer support tomorrow.

• mamamitchell

Tinkerer

@jack22 Ok, I will try your suggestions. Thanks!
  • mamamitchell

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    @jack22 Those didn't work. There's definitely an issue with the ac adapter and not the battery, whether it isn't making a good connection in the port or it's just dead. If it was the battery, it would still recognize that the AC is plugged in. It does not. Tell me, do you know if the adapter has a light on it and, if so, does it light up when it isn't charging the laptop? I could have sworn it had a little blue light, but now there's nothing. I could be mistaken (maybe it was a reflection or something). The orange light beside the charging port doesn't come on with the AC plugged in, either.
  • Jack22
    @mamamitchell
    There are few charger which will have lights on it. But you can check whether the charger is working or not by just touching the brick part. Just touch and see whether the charger is warm or cold after connecting  it to laptop for 30 min. If its warm that the charger is working. but you can also check if you get a different charger from your friends or neighbor
  • mamamitchell

Tinkerer

@jack22 It won't connect to the laptop. That's the entire issue. It is not connecting when I plug it into the laptop. The laptop does not "sense" that the AC is plugged in. Would it still get warm if it's NOT plugged into the laptop? If so, then it has died because it is ice cold. I have tried plugging it into a different wall outlet, and that didn't help, either. I wish I had a friend or neighbor that could help, but I don't. 
  • Jack22
    @mamamitchell
    Dont worry, please call Acer support tomorrow they will help you. But make sure the pin which is on the laptop, which connects the charger is not broken or bent. because physical damages are not covered under Acer warranty
  • mamamitchell

Tinkerer

Okay, @Jack22 thank you so much for trying to help. I appreciate it.
    The pin doesn't appear to be broken or bent. I tested the AC adapter with a multimeter. I'm getting the correct voltage from the power cord (that goes from the wall to the adapter) but nothing from the adapter (the part that plugs into the laptop). It appears that the adapter is indeed dead. Bummer. Guess I'll be using up some of my vacation days while I wait for a replacement. :disappointed:
  • Jack22
    @mamamitchell
    So get the replacement and check the unit