Is an M.2 NVMe SSD compatible with 4 lanes on my Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-52-79EU) (P/No. NH.Q3XSG.009)

Options
mattygamer
mattygamer Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I can provide more information if needed.

Best Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The service manual for this model shows some ssd ge3x4 as compatible, see:

So, it is possible that this model has the four lanes enabled!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • mattygamer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks for helping me through the procedure. 
    I have solved the problem. For anyone wanting to add M.2 NVMe to your system you do not need to install windows from scratch.
    1. You can make a clone of your existing drive by using a software called "Macrium Reflect". here is a detailed tutorial on how to use it https://youtu.be/BZqkYnmDnas
    2. If your drive is set to "rst with optane" or Raid mode you would not be able to install samsung drivers. So switch the option to "AHCI" mode to install drivers.
    3. If you get "Inaccessible boot drive error" when changing to "AHCI" here is an easy to follow tutorial to fix it. http://support.thinkcritical.com/kb/articles/switch-windows-10-from-raid-ide-to-ahci.
    4. Profit. (feel free to PM me if anyone needs help in this regard and have a nice day)

PS: Here are the Benchmarks with drivers install and running in AHCI mode.

PPS. I dunno what happened to the sequential write speeds there but in all actuality the system feels much faster now in AHCI mode and with drivers installed.

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Digite seu comentárioHello! Your model supports ssd m2 2280 for both sata 3 and nvme pcie gen3x4 or gen3x2, see: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Nitro-AN515-52/83703
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • mattygamer
    Options
    Digite seu comentárioHello! Your model supports ssd m2 2280 for both sata 3 and nvme pcie gen3x4 or gen3x2, see: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Nitro-AN515-52/83703
    Thanks for the prompt answer. However my question was that will it support 4 Lanes? Please answer this.
    Also please guide me ragarding reinstalling windows 10 on the new hdd. How do i know what is my windows key to install on the new hdd?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    You can check with hwinfo64 how many clues are enabled in your model:

However, there is a possibility that this program will not display this information correctly. On the serial, it gets recorded on the bios. The installation identifies this serial and installs an equivalent version, just by typing the same email and password!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• mattygamer
    Options
    You can check with hwinfo64 how many clues are enabled in your model:

However, there is a possibility that this program will not display this information correctly. On the serial, it gets recorded on the bios. The installation identifies this serial and installs an equivalent version, just by typing the same email and password!
    So you imply that there is no sure short way of knowing about 4 lane compatibility?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The service manual for this model shows some ssd ge3x4 as compatible, see:

So, it is possible that this model has the four lanes enabled!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• mattygamer
    Options
    Thanks for your help man... I am likely gonna buy a samsung or kingston m.2 nvme ssd soon God willing. :)
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK! When you have installed ssd, put the result here!
    If my answer helped you, click accept!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• mattygamer
    Options
    I have one more question my good sir i wanted to ask if this laptop's 2.5" expansion bay supports SATA III SSD or not? If yes than upto what capacity? Thanks for all the help bro.
    OK! When you have installed ssd, put the result here!
    If my answer helped you, click accept!

• Commodore_1995#
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Yes, you can replace the 2.5 "HD with a 2.5" SATA 2.5 "HD! I believe you can add up to 2 TB of SD!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• iriscooh
    iriscooh Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    That's great, thank!

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Great! Accept my response if I have helped you!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• mattygamer
    Options
    Man I already accepted. I have also bought the new SSD M.2 Samsung Evo 970 NVMe. It runs at full speed. Will post benchmarks soon. Also please recommend a software to benchmark.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    You can use aida64 or go to this site: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Nitro-AN515-51/61125

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• mattygamer
    Options
    Well I am currently unable to install samsung driver as the error "samsung nvme express device is not connected" shows up. I read the some forums. They say you have to change sata setting from RAID to AHCI. However option to change this is disabled in my BIOS. Its greyed out. I need help.

• mattygamer
    Options
    OK I updated the Bios to ver. 1.22 and changed the mode from Optane to ACHI. But now my Laptop would not boot with this setting. Guess i can not install the drivers from samsung.... :'(
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK! Enter the bios go in the main section. In sata mode, change ahci to rst with optane!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• mattygamer
    Options
    OK! Enter the bios go in the main section. In sata mode, change ahci to rst with optane!
    Yeah bro. In "rst with optane" mode the samsung official driver give the error " samsung nvme express device is not connected" and hence can not be installed.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Does bios and windows recognize ssd samsung in rst with optane mode? It seems that there is some problem in the samsung magician program that does not recognize ssd in raid mode!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• mattygamer
    Options
    Does bios and windows recognize ssd samsung in rst with optane mode? It seems that there is some problem in the samsung magician program that does not recognize ssd in raid mode!
    Yes that is true. And as of now i am unable to boot windows with ASCI it shows the 'Inaccessible Boot Device' Error.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options

egydiocoelho Trailblazer