Upgrade to a gtx 1080?

Saliwarrior
Saliwarrior Member Posts: 94

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
I want to upgrade from a gtx 1050 2gb to a 1080 8gb. I was wondering if the motherboard, was compatible with the graphic card. It's a GX 781. However looking at this website it says https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Aspire-GX-781/48809. That it's only compatible up to a gtx 1070. Is that really true? I came across a few forums where some users claim that 'it should be fine.' Don't know who is right. My CPU is I5 7400. I know that if I buy a gtx 1080 I won't unlock it's full potential but it will give me an extra FPS kick of around 30 or even more from the previous gpu even with CPU bottleneck because I tested a black desert online on my pc which gave me 30-40 FPS on medium setting and on my brother's who is running the same cpu but better a 1060 gtx 3gb is getting 60 fps on remastered which is high graphic setting. I reckon I can get 30 fps higher than my brother's on remastered and + other games.

If it's compatible then I plan on buying the zotac mini, so that it fits in my pc. 
My power supply is 500w Which I think is more than enough. I don't think I would need to upgrade it because, I think it will use 270W with 1080.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    They only shipped with up to a 1070, but there's nothing stopping a 1080 from working. It's just the 1080 wasn't out yet when they were setting up the different SKUs.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    They only shipped with up to a 1070, but there's nothing stopping a 1080 from working. It's just the 1080 wasn't out yet when they were setting up the different SKUs.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.