Can't enter into Bios screen Aspire TC-885-ES11

macquanski
macquanski Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
I'm trying to get into bios to change boot priority on the drive of my Aspire TC-885-ES11. It came equipped with a 1 TB HD, and I plan to clone the drive with OS over to a new 2.5 inch Crucial 1 TB SSD (MX500). When I hit F2 or Del key to enter the bios (before and after I hear the first beep on POST), all I get is a black screen. No luck either when I tried the UEFI approach detailed in https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27103#_ga=2.142294898.1111382923.1546873859-598401743.1545834381. Otherwise the PC is working, albeit it's slow on bootup.
Suggestions or advice on next steps would be most appreciated.

TIA

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    By default the BIOS is set to quick boot mode, which really narrows the time that is available to hit those keys. Try pressing the DEL key over and over again quickly before the message appears, you can usually hit the right timing that way.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    I'm trying to get into bios to change boot priority on the drive of my Aspire TC-885-ES11. It came equipped with a 1 TB HD, and I plan to clone the drive with OS over to a new 2.5 inch Crucial 1 TB SSD (MX500). When I hit F2 or Del key to enter the bios (before and after I hear the first beep on POST), all I get is a black screen. No luck either when I tried the UEFI approach detailed in https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27103#_ga=2.142294898.1111382923.1546873859-598401743.1545834381. Otherwise the PC is working, albeit it's slow on bootup.
    Suggestions or advice on next steps would be most appreciated.

TIA

You can temporarily disconnect your HDD/SSD (disconnect the sata power cable).  Turn on your computer with the HDD/SSD disconnected. This should allow you to regain access to UEFI by tapping the Delete key on your keyboard.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • macquanski
    macquanski Member Posts: 3 New User
    First, thank you for your suggestions.  I took the PC into Staples yesterday, and the techs were able to get to the bios screen without any problems. They said to hit F2 and delete simultaneously. I haven't tried that yet. One of the techs made a comment about the possibility that my monitor maybe be slow in getting up to speed and be the cause. I'm connected to a Dell 2209WA with a VGA cable, and have noted that when I normally boot up, the monitor says something about entering power save mode, eventually the monitor's power button led turns from yellow to blue, and images appear (but not the Acer logo). A google search on how to disable seems to indicate that it's not possible to disable this feature on the monitor itself, as opposed to any power save settings on the PC. So I'm going to try to use the F2/delete keys as the Staples tech indicated and if not successful, try a different monitor.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Yeah, the Staples tech is just covering his bases with the F2 thing. Between F2 and DEL you cover more than 90% of the systems out there. You just need the DEL on yours.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.