CPU speed is heavily capped when battery goes under 40% of charge.

Serg81
Serg81 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hey folks,  have Aspire V nitro  vn7-593 and i love it.  The only issue i have is when my battery goes under 40%  cpu speedstep goes rogue and caps CPU speed at 800 mhz  whatever i do.   No any power profile settings can affect it and laptop becomes a real slug even in web browsing.   How it can be fixed ?   

Answers

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    This is largely a feature of the Windows power plan if I'm not mistaken. Below 40%, if you were to have a sudden power draw you may discharge the battery at such a rate that the system does not have time to properly save/close and shutdown properly. This is avoided by lowering the frequency of major components like CPU/iGPU, etc, also increasing the last remaining bit of battery charge.

You may be able to counteract this within the Windows Power Plan settings and change things like 'On Battery' options. Several options vary between maximum battery life and maximum performance. Just remember that below 40% you may rapidly lose battery power and shutdown unexpectedly with a large power draw.
  • Serg81
    Serg81 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Tried any options around that power plan, created new plans ,  nothing.  I also have my 2014 asus and  my wife has zenbook from asus  and they both running same win10  and no such a problem with hard capping cpu speed.  I suspect its sort of hard coded in bios ,  would be nice if some of the acer engineers can check and comment this.