Gateway NV 53, Windows will not open.

Sawgrassranger
Sawgrassranger Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have a Gateway NV53 that will not open (Windows 7). Ran Startup Repair for 18 hours with no result. Won't open in Safe Mode either. I have two recovery disks, but don't know how to use them. Tried starting the computer with Disk 1 in the CD drive, but nothing happened. I don't care about the computer as much as the photographs and student records on the hard drive. Can I take the hard drive out and use it in an external box? Or is it all lost?

Best Answers

• Sawgrassranger
    Answer ✓
    Thank you. I will try that. Will doing a factory re-set erase the hard drive? I want to keep those photos and documents.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You also have the option of first trying to do a 'refresh' instead of a total reset via the ALT+F10 method. A refresh will try to save those personal files while at the same time try to fix the Windows system files that are preventing it from starting. A refresh is not as thorough as a reset but it may get it running again. If it doesn't work, you can then pull the drive and try to extract the files from another computer. No guarantees either way that you'll be successful. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Press and hold the power button till the machine completely shuts off. Then turn it back on again and immediately start tapping the F2 key till the BIOS menu appears. Under the main tab make sure the F12 and D2D options are both enabled. Then press the F10 key to save settings and exit. Then shut the machine completely off again as above.

Then turn it back on again and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear similar to the ACER video below to reset the machine to a factory fresh Win7 state. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P8N0kMuvuo

Jack E/NJ

• Sawgrassranger
    Answer ✓
    Thank you. I will try that. Will doing a factory re-set erase the hard drive? I want to keep those photos and documents.

• Sawgrassranger
    I can't back up the files on the hard drive. Windows won't open and I can't do anything on it. I'm thinking I'll have to take out the hard drive and put it an external box to access its files on another computer. 
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    You also have the option of first trying to do a 'refresh' instead of a total reset via the ALT+F10 method. A refresh will try to save those personal files while at the same time try to fix the Windows system files that are preventing it from starting. A refresh is not as thorough as a reset but it may get it running again. If it doesn't work, you can then pull the drive and try to extract the files from another computer. No guarantees either way that you'll be successful. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ