Can I upgrade the RAM on my Spin 3 - SP314-51-55PY or use Optane?

devnull
devnull Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I'm looking to either add optane memory to this laptop or swap out the slow 1TB HDD for a faster SSD and am not sure if the m.2 interface is nvme or just sata? Will the interface work for optane memory? Thanks! 

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,745 Pathfinder
    @devnull
    The specs of you unit for the RAM and SSD

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,476 Trailblazer
    Go to crucial dot com for updated specs on compatible upgrades for this model. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• devnull
    devnull Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for the suggestions folks. I've tried Crucial's website and they don't list my model, SP314-51-55PY.

I opened the laptop up and couldn't find anywhere to insert a dimm so I'm guessing the ram is part of the motherboard. I did see an m.2 connector in addition to the sata 1tb drive 2.5" drive. I'm guessing the 2.5" is regular sata but I'm not sure if the m.2 is for optane or just sata also. I'd like to put the original 1TB back in if optane works to speed things up. Any thoughts on the m.2 connector and what it'd support?

Thanks!
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,476 Trailblazer
    edited January 2019
    Sure crucial does. The sub-models rarely make a difference except for the soldered RAM so you choose the SP314-51 and scroll down the upgrade list. Also you have an m.2 SSD  SATA3 slot that's close to the HDD connector. Your mainboard does not support optane HDD accelerator. You might as well replace the 2.5" HDD with an SSD where optane isn't needed anyway. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ