Bought TGC-885=ACCFLi5 Where is sp-are power connector

k6eid
k6eid Member Posts: 21 Networker
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
I want to add an SSD but I cannot find a spare power connector for the SSD. The harness is very tightly secured under the right hand mounting panel for the DVD and HDD. Do I have to unloosen the panel to find an extra connector from the power supply?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I don't think there is any extra connectors. If you want to deliver power to the SSD you can use siomething like this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002N2EHVQ/ref=asc_df_B002N2EHVQ57863804/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B002N2EHVQ&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309909333117&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7726050987901593070&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9044964&hvtargid=pla-445196651892&th=1&psc=1

Disconnect the SATA power from the. HDD and then connect it to the splitter. Now you can use the 2 ends to connect one to the HDD and one to the SSD.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,864 Trailblazer
    Assuming you mean a TC-885-ACCFLi5, you do have an M.2 connector where you can put an SSD. That'll be faster than using SATA and no need for extra power.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • k6eid
    k6eid Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Like the idea of the M.2 but the socket is just outside under the DVD drive and the screw would be impossible to put in with the DVD drive case being where it is. There is only about an  inch clearance from the motherboard to the bottom of the DVD drive. Is it possible to unsecure the chassis panel that holds the HDD and hopefully the DVD drive?
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,328 Pathfinder
    k6eid 

This model has Integrated three SATA 6Gb/s Host Controllers.

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Sharanji said:
    k6eid 

This model has Integrated three SATA 6Gb/s Host Controllers.

That is for data transfer not power. There is another SATA connector for power coming straight from the PSU and this what k6eid needs(needed because using the M.2 port is a better option).
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,864 Trailblazer
    K6EID, (Ham by any chance?) yes, you can remove the drive mount gizmo to get access to the M.2 slot. IIRC the ODD comes out first then the front bezel and then there are four screws holding the drive mount in place.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.