Need help to downgrade my UEFI on Nitro AN515-42?

daemondevir
daemondevir Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
After upgrading the UEFI from 1.08 to 1.11 my Laptop now always switches off the Keyboard lights after 30 seconds automatically. Working on this Laptop became extremely annoying, especially in the evening time. Of course it was too much work for Acer to implement an UEFI option or a Windows tool to allow seting up the backlight of the Keyboard, and after upgrading my UEFI to 1.11 it´s drivng my mad now. It switches off the backlight every 30 seconds, no matter if its running on battery or connected to the power supply. In the FAQ Acer says that the backlight can be switched on/off by pressing FN and F9. But this is useless since the backlight turns on, no matter which button i press. But it goes again off in 30 seconds.
With UEFI Version 1.08 the backlight of the Keyboard was always on when connected to the power supply and automatically turning off in battery mode. I want to have this setting back, but Acer simply ignored my request. So I´m wondering if there is any way to downgrade my UEFI to the version 1.08? I still have the .exe file but when I double click it, it says that this UEFI version is older than the installed one and it stops. Is there any parameter I can use to force the downgrade?

I hope someone has a solution for me. It´s unbelievable that such a standard function, which I believe every other Laptop has (I wish my old MSI notebook and it´s steelseries keyboard back) is too much work for Acrer. I think I will never buy a product from Acer again. Very dissapointed...

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,840 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Given: Firmware updates should only be tried as a last resort to fix disabling or serious issues. Corollary: They should never be tried to fix non-existent problems. Reason: Risk of bricking machine is significantly greater than updating or tweaking device drivers and settings.

OK, it's done. So you might first want to try tweak your Control Panel power plan settings and explore its advanced settings to see if you can fix this annoying KB backlight issue. If nothing seems to fix it, and it seriously affects your ability to use the machine, then as a last resort you can refer to this link as it applies to the AN515-42.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/386281/#Comment_386281   Caveat: The risk of bricking the machine is at least as great as a firmware update.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    What problem were you having with v1.08 that you thought v1.11 would fix? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• daemondevir
    No Problem. The UEFI Updates where titled with "Improve memory compatibility" and "Improve system performance". I was not expecting they will change the backlinght setting, which made more sense before than now.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Given: Firmware updates should only be tried as a last resort to fix disabling or serious issues. Corollary: They should never be tried to fix non-existent problems. Reason: Risk of bricking machine is significantly greater than updating or tweaking device drivers and settings.

OK, it's done. So you might first want to try tweak your Control Panel power plan settings and explore its advanced settings to see if you can fix this annoying KB backlight issue. If nothing seems to fix it, and it seriously affects your ability to use the machine, then as a last resort you can refer to this link as it applies to the AN515-42.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/386281/#Comment_386281   Caveat: The risk of bricking the machine is at least as great as a firmware update.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• daemondevir
    Many thanks for the Hint. It worked, I could downgrade my UEFI and now the KB backlight behavior is like before.  :)
  • JackE
    Congrats on your success. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ