Sudden spikes in gpu usage in nitro 5 ryzen 5 .

Ayonhi5
Ayonhi5 Member Posts: 37 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
These are the screenshots of the task manager while playing battlefield 1 . The gpu usage spikes from 60-65 to 100 and the game lags like hell . Does anyone got an explaination for this?

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Well, I don't think the CPU has an issue, because you can't expect a 4 core CPU to sustain 3.6GHz with 15W TDP. By the way does the CPU ever reach 3.6GHz even for a little when all cores are utilized?

I don't see a reason why the GPU would downclock itself. From the screenshots there is no bottleneck to be seen by the CPU, as it doesn't reach 100%, so it doesn't limit the GPU and the ingame fps. I think it the problem is either driver or some vbios bug.

Can you try resetting the battery?
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

Let the laptop rest for 15min before turning it back on.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    Can you download HWiNFO to check what is the CPU temperature and how much power it draws before and after the game begins to lag.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• ven98
    Also what is the CPU's model. It looks like this - ryzen 5 nnnnx
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Ayonhi5
    Okay ill do that and post
  • Ayonhi5
    The VID when the cpu is turbo boosting is 1.10 v approx while when the cpu is stuck at 1.98 ghz , the VID is 0.8562 V approx
  • Ayonhi5
     this is what i found out . When the rx560x is at 40-50% usage , the core and mem clocks are high . But when it is at 100% usage , the core and mem clocks are low while the vega 8 clocks get high at about 1100 mhz.
  • ven98
    Did you download HWiNFO? I asked about CPU temperatures and power usage not gpu. Also the CPU model. From HWiNFO click on sensors and find where the CPU's(not GPU) power usage and temperatures are shown. Take a screenshot of the temperatures, power usage(in watts), load% and frequency(in MHz) of the CPU(not GPU) right after the beginning of the gameplay and then after the game begins to lag.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Also report the GPU temperatures.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Ayonhi5
    I monitored the hwinfo for about an hour and figured out that my game went from 60 fps to 20 fps when the gpu memory controller utilisation spiked from 10-12% to 80-90% .
    Here are the ss of the cpu temp graphs and gpu temp graphs during game 
  • Ayonhi5
    also notice the gpu mem and core clocks which remains at 300 and 603 mhz respectively
  • Ayonhi5
    Cpu and gpu info
  • ven98
    I suggest you to try changing the power settings from windows and radeon software to max performance. If that doesn't help try reinstalling the graphics driver. Has this issue been happening since you have the laptop or it began to appear recently?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Ayonhi5
    It began like 5 days ago . Before that i never had any fps drops on either bf1 or nfs payback . Now this issue appears in all the games i play . The core and mem clock would suddenly drop to 300 mhz or 625 mhz and the game would go into a state of low fps . All my settings are already set to max performance . I noticed a dip in gpu chip power when the mem clock freq drops .
  • ven98
    The problem seems to be an issue with the driver. Try reinstalling the driver or if that doesn't help try with an older version.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Ayonhi5
    When i had the old drivers , i got the amd wattman settings under the global tab . I installed a newer crimson relive driver and since then the wattman settings has dissapered . I forced install the adrenaline drivers and they worked fine (all this after  i was already facing the issue )
    Reinstalling old drivers by cleaing the current ones with ddu. I m so confused as to what might have been the problem -_-
  • ven98
    So, reinstalling or installing an older driver didn't work?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Ayonhi5
    Nothing worked on the drivers part . Two main issues currently are , 1) cpu at 1.98 ghz while playing games . 
    2) gpu stuck at 300 mhz while playing games (goes upto 1450 mhz for a very short duration).
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Well, I don't think the CPU has an issue, because you can't expect a 4 core CPU to sustain 3.6GHz with 15W TDP. By the way does the CPU ever reach 3.6GHz even for a little when all cores are utilized?

I don't see a reason why the GPU would downclock itself. From the screenshots there is no bottleneck to be seen by the CPU, as it doesn't reach 100%, so it doesn't limit the GPU and the ingame fps. I think it the problem is either driver or some vbios bug.

Can you try resetting the battery?
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

Let the laptop rest for 15min before turning it back on.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Ayonhi5
    I fixed it and the problem i found was ***** wierd . 
    I recollected all the apps and stuffs i installed in my device and came across msi afterburner . Seems like my amd wattman messed up with the afterburner settings . So i fresh installed all my gpu drivers , installed msi afterburner and extended amd overclock limits . That enabled the wattman tab in the raedon settings . After that i uninstalled all msi afterburner apps with settings and reseted my wattman . That did the trick .
    Thank you tho for helping throughout ❤️❤️.