Window Defender or Antivirus software better?

ChrisTing
ChrisTing Member Posts: 10 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
As we all know window 10 comes with Window Defender but I am having doubt whether it is good enough with its protection. I would like to know if Antivirus software is required for better protection? (Personal daily usage) 

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    ChrisTing said:
    As we all know window 10 comes with Window Defender but I am having doubt whether it is good enough with its protection. I would like to know if Antivirus software is required for better protection? (Personal daily usage) 
    Though Windows defender is good to protect the device, i would still recommend to use extra security to make sure the device is safe from hackers or spyware.

If you planning to use just Windows Defender then make sure your device is up to date. perform windows updates on regular basis as the security features gets updated by updating the device.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • AlpineTom
    AlpineTom Member Posts: 58 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Windows Defender is usually sufficient, but it's always best to have a second line of defence. I use the free version of Malwarebytes to scan my computer once a week in case something slipped past Windows Defender (which hasn't happened so far). Additionally, an adblocker like uBlock Origin is a good choice .

Unless you frequent websites of dubious nature, speaking security-wise, you should be as safe as can be. And even if you do, you should still be reasonably safe.
  • ChrisTing
    Thank you so much for the information. I am considering two choices of antivirus software which are Mcafee and Bitdefender, which one of it will be better?
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    If you are planning to use the free version of the antivirus without paying any subscription for its full list features, I would advice to stick with windows defender.

Also don't check for windows updates manually. If a new update comes out windows will download and install it automatically and prompt you to restart.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    ChrisTing said:
    Thank you so much for the information. I am considering two choices of antivirus software which are Mcafee and Bitdefender, which one of it will be better?
    My suggestion is bitdefender.. it's the top most antivirus software.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • ChrisTing
    Thank you for everyone that provide me with the answers