Rchopra18916 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Need help
Can I upgrade my psu on my orion 3000 to accommodate a rtx 2070 gpu

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, it's a pretty standard ATX power supply, you should be able to drop a more powerful one right in. If I were upgrading I'd probably take a bit bigger step than 500->550 though. You may not need more than 550 with the new GPU, but if you decided to max the memory and add some drives it would be nice to be in the 600-750 range.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Rchopra18916

Tinkerer

Sorry from 500 w to 550 w
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Yes, it's a pretty standard ATX power supply, you should be able to drop a more powerful one right in. If I were upgrading I'd probably take a bit bigger step than 500->550 though. You may not need more than 550 with the new GPU, but if you decided to max the memory and add some drives it would be nice to be in the 600-750 range.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • robs113
    robs113 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Rchopra18916 did you go ahead with the gpu upgrade?
    I am thinking of doing that also and wondered how it went for you.
  • Rchopra18916

Tinkerer

Hi robs113
    I did upgrade to a zotac 2070 blower gpu as this was a perfect fit, I also upgraded the power supply to a 600 w 80 plus bronze and it works brilliantly. Because of the space restriction in the case it will be difficult to get a normal gpu in but the zotac 2070 fit fine
    Hope this helps 
  • robs113

Tinkerer

Great info, thanks.
    I was worried about buying a GPU and not being able to fit it in. 

• robs113

Tinkerer

Forgot to ask..
    Was it worth it?
    Are you seeing 15% to 20% fps increase?

• Rchopra18916

Tinkerer

Yes definitely worth it 
    Especially  with the 2070 ultra setting on 1440 
  • OpaqueGorgon57
    OpaqueGorgon57 Member Posts: 9 New User
    Hi robs113
    I did upgrade to a zotac 2070 blower gpu as this was a perfect fit, I also upgraded the power supply to a 600 w 80 plus bronze and it works brilliantly. Because of the space restriction in the case it will be difficult to get a normal gpu in but the zotac 2070 fit fine
    Hope this helps 
    how to did you change your PSU? Because I have a 650w PSU but I don't know how to change the PSU and I spent really good money on my Orion 3000 and I do not want to damage or ruin anything.
  • Rchopra18916

Tinkerer

Hi robs113
    Hope this helps 
    how to did you change your PSU? Because I have a 650w PSU but I don't know how to change the PSU and I spent really good money on my Orion 3000 and I do not want to damage or ruin anything.
    I took it out from the top there is a kind of lever you need to push in the release the psu, you will.also need to take out the cd drive to access the wiring for the psu, take your time on it, it is very simply to do 
  • OpaqueGorgon57
    OpaqueGorgon57 Member Posts: 9 New User
    Hi robs113
    Hope this helps 
    I took it out from the top there is a kind of lever you need to push in the release the psu, you will.also need to take out the cd drive to access the wiring for the psu, take your time on it, it is very simply to do 
    What about all the wiring and whatnot? What PSU do you have? Were you able to connect all the wires?
  • tripxzz
    tripxzz Member Posts: 3 New User
    Need help
    Can I upgrade my psu from 500 W on my predator orion 3000 to accommodate a rtx 3070 gpu? And if i can what psu would be recommended
  • billsey
    @tripxzz you should start your own thread rather than camping out on this really old one. You also don't tell us which PO3 model you have. There have been a lot of different ones over the years and the power supplies for the older ones and the newer ones are very different. Include int he new thread your full models number (likely on the same sticker as your SN and SNID), your question and what research you have tried so far.