TC 865 Case Fan size

LongHorn
LongHorn Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hello, Just got TC 865 and it didn't have a case fan. What size fan do I need and will the power supply have power connector for it. 
Thanks

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,042 Trailblazer
    Hello,
    You'll need a fan of 92x92x20 or 25mm - 2200~2500RPM - 12VDC - PWM (4 pin). The case fan connector is marked SYS FAN on the motherboard:

France
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    Note the four pin connector for a PWM fan...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MarkJohnson
    MarkJohnson Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

I just got my TC-865-NESelecti5 and connected my 92mm 4-[in exhaust fan, and it starts up with my computer and slowly shuts off after a minute or two.  It is very gradual.

I added a GTX 1050 Ti as well, and temps are a little high.  about 72C for CPU.  But I can't keep the fan on to help rid my system of heat.

I turned off smart fan in BIOS, with no help.

Is there any other option for fan control?
  • laurent_14
    Which fan did you buy? Brand and part number?
    France
  • MarkJohnson

Tinkerer

It's an Arctic Cooling F9 (PWM R.2)
  • laurent_14
    Do the fans rotate at full speed when you turn off Smart fan in bios?
    Could you check the speeds of the fans with HWMonitor zipped version (no installation)?
    Note: This fan rotates from 150 to 1800RPM so less than 400~700RPM that the original one.
    France
  • MarkJohnson

Tinkerer

I will double check.  But when I turned off Smart Fan before. it behaved the same.  Maybe I didn't save changes properly?
  • MarkJohnson

Tinkerer

The BIOS says System Fan N/A

It's not reading it for some reason, but it's working.  The fan connector is on correctly.

• laurent_14
    edited January 2019
    @MarkJohnson,
    The BIOS says System Fan N/A
    The tachometer signal is not detected: the wire or the tachometer is dead. I would try to connect and disconnect the connector several times to clean the contacts. Actually the fan is only driven by the voltage.
    France
  • tville84
    tville84 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm having the same issue, when smart fan is disabled the fan runs at full speed, with smartfan enabled, it is not spinning at all even with high temps. I have the same Arctic F9 fan. Is there a solution to this?
  • It would be interesting to know what the bios version of these models is!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MikeCr
    MikeCr Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited February 2019
    I have a TC-885 and had the same problem of the fan not working when smart fan was on with a Noctua NF-A9.  Updated to the latest BIOS and still had the same issue. Ended up buying a Cooler Master Blade Master 92 (R4-BM9S-28PK-R0) and it works perfectly.  Seems like some fans are just not compatible.

typo above, I meant 885 but unable to edit.  I'm thinking the cooler master fan might work on the 865 boards as well.
  • Thank you for your feedback @MikeCr ! At what speeds does the case fan rotate?
    France
  • MikeCr
    the specs for the fan are 800 - 2800 rpm.  since i have opened up CPUID HWMonitor, mine has the range of 956 - 1078.  I haven't done anything that would push the motherboard temps up high but im sure it will crank up the rpms when that happens.
  • MikeCr
    actually, im not sure it has any temp sensors besides the cpu so it might stay around 1000 rpm.  i will have to monitor it longer.
  • TheDove
    TheDove Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited January 2020
    I think I know why it might not be doing PWM.  The single fan cases with vent holes in the side panel are for positive pressure cases to suck air onto the CPU/board.  As such to maintain the positive pressure they might have to stay a static speed vs variable.

I am purchasing a fan today because my 1650 pushed my temps to 48C  or so on my CPU and my GPU was around 55C or 60C under load.  Until I turned it down completely and turned 3d rendering to performance over quality.  It's a 75w video card ranked for a 300w psu which is what the tc-885 has.  But without a case fan the removable panel gets hot, as does the front frame.  Idling with just text entry on the tc-885 gets temps in the low 30s to 40's.

The CPU is ranked to 100C at at T junction.  Which means it is within boundries even without turning it down but it's hot.  I can't remember if I saw it climb to even 72C on the video card.  HWMonitor claims the max is 48C which at first I was trying to understand if that was the max it see's the CPU as tolerating or the max it has reached while monitored.  It was alarming if it is the max it tolerates because then my temps were very high and not reasonable.  One site said the CPU can get up to 80C but I've not seen that and haven't had it long enough to have that.  But I do see a bunch of you have the 4G 1650 card so I'm not alone and some of you went to even higher.

I don't like my case getting hot.  So of course I'm getting a fan.  With the positive pressure it is supposed to use(and it says it keeps dust out).  The RPM level of the fan might be why it isn't variable.  If it goes lower it might need to lock on constantly and if it goes higher it can vary but not drop below a certain RPM to keep the positive pressure flow going to, get the heat out of those side holes of the case.

I was looking at the Noctua but it might be only it's RPM max that is the issue.  It says it goes 1500-2000 RPM for the NF-A9.  As the other poster pointed out you need a higher RPM.  While of course it needs a 12v from the board.  It can go up to 120mm based off the fact it has two sets of holes to attach too.  One is for a 92mm and the other one can do 120mm.

So right now I'm having problems finding a 92mm at 2200rpm or 2400rpm and problems finding a 120mm at that high rate.  One I found was about $100.  It's only problem is it is an RGB and I just want a plain fan.  Now I just found one on Ebay for aprox $28 including shipping that does 2200 RPM, 120mm, 12, and PVM.  They sell as low as $10 on Ebay.  Not seeing the same model on Amazon.ca not sure who will all ship to Canada.  Looked on Ebay.ca and it's $14 to $21 plus about $10 shipping.  I'm not sure why I can't find this on Amazon.ca it's on Amazon.com for about $10 and ships to Canada for about $10 but takes 1-2 weeks.  Here is the specification sheet for it. 

NewEgg USA seemed to have it but Canada didn't(they used to but no longer carry it but have other 120mm Evercool's etc)  You have to check your local computer shops for selection and price I guess.  Depending on your country you might have issues getting it or have to get shipped from abroad.

Given the RPM on the 120mm and 92mm the bios might refuse that pwm.  But with the options I found it might work with it.  While you say 2200rpm or better an 1800rpm might work on the PWM but not anything lower than that.  Also most have been using the 1800rpm so aiming higher is probably a good idea. 

Did any of you with a PWM problem try a faster RPM fan?  I'm guessing the one guy that gave the voltage spec's and pic did.  :-)  You just listed a smaller size fan as it can do 2 sizes.
  • TheDove

Tinkerer

Oops I stand corrected at least on the dimensions.  It's been awhile so I measured wrong and I'm using an inches tape measure.  I was measuring diagonally on the outside. along the top between holes it's just over 3inches.  Other than that I'll be back at the store tomorrow to return it.  Shame it was a nice fan and with 3 years insurance only came to $16cdn.  It was a 2000 RPM with rubber screws a Reeven Euros. 

I did plug in the pin connector to see which way it blew and it was fairly quiet.  But too big obviously.  

I remember 3 different problems with variable speed fans.  I don't remember which motherboard/cpu combos.  Only that for one it was the volts per speed, another it needed a certain RPM range, and the other it wasn't using PWM but temperature control.

I found this one the Arctic F9-92mm Silent that claims "push/pull" has:

1,800 RPM (@ 12V DC)
    1,200 RPM (@ 7V DC)
    800 RPM (@ 5V DC)

Arctic F9 TC is a different thing and stats it is 400 to 1800 RPM.  So one of the two might not be seen and the other might.  The F9 TC is temperature controlled and the other is PST.(scroll down on the link page and you will see a chart)  So if if isn't the volts it's the mechanism.

Since everyone is using the 4pin PWM with little to no success I'm going to go with the thermal variable controlled one.  The PWM vary more and it can get weird as they gradually go up and come down.  The other just clicks in to a set speed, cools, if it hits a certain cool range, it drops to the preset below.  Now I just have to find one local and it can fit a 80mm to 92mm hole size since it takes both sizes.  There are 3 local stores but not all have it in stock.  I'm trying to find and test it before return time on the graphics card goes out.  So I know if it will be ok or not.

I just found something and it said "sys_fan" typically uses temperature control on the motherboard.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    It's worth noting that my understanding is the difference between PWM and variable voltage on these fans just is a way to set the fan speed. Pretty much all systems set fan speed depending on temperature, with either a fixed voltage and changing the pulse width or variable voltage and no pulses. They will both be close to the same efficiency in cooling the temperature.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • TheDove

Tinkerer

I got my fan to work.  It was a Deepcool UF-80 (80mm) with rubber screws.  Which I realized can cut easy when trying to insert them.  The fan works fine and was variable between 800rpm to 909rpm.  It didn't seem to go higher but my CPU fan was at 730rpm.  My case temps were 45C hard drive, up to 51C GPU(at 42% capacity & 35% power), and cores 0 to 5 were around 47 to 52C.  My cooling issue isn't so much those because the CPU has a max of 100C (T Junction).  GPU's I was told go about 92C, it's staying all even that way as in all hanging around 45 to 52C under load.  It is that my case literally gets warm.  It isn't flat out hot now that I have the second fan in it.  But I believe the heat issues partly related to the LiteOn PSU and also maybe because I don't have ram cooling sleeves on.

I went to get a new PSU today but on the box it said it had 1 cable that was 2 - 4pin.  But it was 2 - 6 pin and one 6 pin with a 2 pin.  We need the 4pin for the board power.  I did find the DVDRW adapter for power at Amazon.  Local store only seems to have one with a old molenx connector.  I'm hoping to find about a 500w PSU with 1-2 fans in it to blow air into the box or out.  My old Athlon II x3 has a thermaltake 750w that is modular but it is probably over 10 years old.  So I don't want to swap it in though it might be fine.  I can't remember what all it's connectors were and Athlon's had some older connectors(I had no sata drives on it for example).