Battery/Charging(My V3 (572-746F)

Simonofthepiemans
Simonofthepiemans Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello folks

I'll try and be concise but forgive me if it seems rambling as I'm unsure how to coherently list my problem/s.

My V3 (572-746F) battery has been deteriorating for quite some time now. I haven't replaced it as I've been unable to ascertain a recommended supplier and a touch of laziness. I always assumed however that one would be able to operate the device with just the AC power, but I am unable to this (it doesn't work)
Issues have been happening for the last few month in earnest...
It was still charging a minimal amount but would work with the power lead in. Saying that, for 50% of the time it would intermittently beep at me and then show as no input power. It became hit and miss when I wanted it to work and having minimal battery meant that it wouldn't last long with external power. I've played with the lead and couldn't seem to find a loose connection and as it would occasionally still charge I presumed that it may be due to the failing life of the battery or, perhaps the female power input socket.
Anyway, it seems the battery has finally succumbed completely as there is no charge at all now. Here's the rundown

If the battery is not inserted I get no power at all when plugged in.
If the battery is inserted there is no power (as it's kaput perhaps), but when plugging in the power I get a brief orange light for maybe five seconds before it extinguishes and nothing further happens.
As it stands I am now unable to access the laptop to boot it up as all it displays it battery critical.
In light of the above my questions are:
1. Should the laptop work plugged in without a battery present?
2. If not, will a new battery solve the issue. Can anyone recommend a UK trusted supplier of a replacement
3. with the above in mind can anyone offer any other diagnosis or suggestions?

Thanking you advance. I hope that made sense.
Cheers, Si

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,845 Trailblazer
    Check the voltage output of the charger plug with a multimeter. It should be about 19v. If it's OK, Amazon UK has replacement batteries. Jack E/NJ
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/257-9662440-8132113?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=v3-572+battery

Jack E/NJ

• Simonofthepiemans
    Update:
    JackE, thanks for your previous reply.

I've replaced the power cable. This has resulted in the machine actually booting up. What happens now is that I can navigate explorer for a limited time but then the laptop seitches itself off after about five minutes. If I try to broese the web it instantly powers off.
    Is this symptomatic of something obvious. Perhaps overheating?
    Thanks again.
  • JackE
    If you don't use or otherwise physically move the machine, does it stay on? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Simonofthepiemans
    No. Turns of after about five minutes regardless.
    I've just given the fan a spring clean and that may have done the trick. It wasn't too bad but I've just used it for 1/2 hour without it automatically powering off.
    Will post update after further testing.
  • JackE
    But it's not spring yet!  =) Good for you for trying to clean it anyway! You might want to also try simply alternately vacuum the air intake port and blow air into the exhaust port a half dozen or so times to dislodge any other dust & debris that might be causing heat buildup around the cpu thermal module and other components you can't easily reach. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ