Will AMD Radeon Pro WS 3100 work in my Acer M3970?

PaulW1
PaulW1 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
I am looking to upgrade the video card in my Acer M3970 so that I can run a 4k Benq monitor.

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Pretty much all current motherboards support UEFI and most have USB 3.1 onboard. Finding a motherboard that's going to match the Sandy Bridge processors that were shipped with the M3970 and have those features is going to be a problem though. Expect to replace the processor and memory as well instead of just a motherboard, so keep that figured into your budget. You might find that a new system will be cost effective when compared to a rebuild, not going to be $150-200 range but might not be too far off. Check out Acer's recertified program for a possibility.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    NP, keep us informed as to how you work it out. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    That card doesn't use too much power at 50W, so it should work with your 300W supply. If not you can always bump the supply up a bit.
  • PaulW1
    Thanks, Billsey! I had read that the M3970's bios resulted in some cards not functioning. Have you or others used this card in the M3970, or have you seen articles that indicate that this card works? I don't want to buy an non-returnable video card only to find that it doesn't work in my Acer PC.
  • billsey
    I have not, most of the upgrades I've seen were more like dropping a 1050 - 1080 in along with an upgraded supply. The BIOS issues seem to clear up with one of the settings (which I don't remember right off, but they're documented here in the forums). The 3100 is a little more pedestrian than those so you are less likely to run into BIOS issues.
  • PaulW1
    Thanks again, billsey! I'm torn between the 1050/60 and the 3100. I'm basically ready to buy the one that I know will work!
  • PaulW1
    edited January 2019
    I notice that in the WX3100 specs, it says "PCIe 3.0 x16 (x8 electrical)". Does that mean that the M3970 with a PCIe 2.0 slot cannot accommodate this card? (pardon the newbie questions.....I even got the card name wrong - it's WX 3100, not WS 3100!)
  • PaulW1
    Does someone have a link to show the proper BIOS settings for the GTX 1050/60/70/80 graphic cards series?  Thanks!
  • PaulW1
    Apparently the motherboard in my M3970 is not UEFI compliant and will therefore need to be replaced. Does anyone have suggestions for a relatively inexpensive ($150-200) board that supports UEFI and has USB 3.1 capability as well?
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Pretty much all current motherboards support UEFI and most have USB 3.1 onboard. Finding a motherboard that's going to match the Sandy Bridge processors that were shipped with the M3970 and have those features is going to be a problem though. Expect to replace the processor and memory as well instead of just a motherboard, so keep that figured into your budget. You might find that a new system will be cost effective when compared to a rebuild, not going to be $150-200 range but might not be too far off. Check out Acer's recertified program for a possibility.
  • PaulW1
    That's what my local PC shop just told me. Oh well......  I'll see if Acer Canada also has recertified PCs. Thanks again for your advice, Billsey. Much appreciated!!
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    NP, keep us informed as to how you work it out. :)