Driver Update and Miniports? Acer ES1-572-31XL

RB28
RB28 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
*----First the background data----*
I have an Acer ES1-572-31XL laptop that came with Win10 Home on it but it ran sluggish and after some frustrations I did a complete new download MS Win10 Home ISO clean install via USB. Everything installed without issue and it has been running much faster and no issues that I can tell for a couple months.
Prior to the clean install I downloaded all the Acer site's Win10 provided drivers for this Laptop. But the Win10 ISO install updated with it's own inventory of drivers without me having to install any of my downloaded Acer ones. The ethernet and wifi card drivers installed from the Win10 ISO install are shown below and they are slightly older versions than the ones at the Acer's site for Win10. Like ver 9.1.xx as opposed to the Acer site's ver 10.6.1
In the device manager:
The Intel wireless card says, this device is working properly,  Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 <-device description
It shows the following drivers being installed,  Netwfw04.dat,  Netwfw04.sys,  vwifibus.sys

The Realteck ethernet card say, this device is working properly,  Realteck PCIe GBE Family Controller <-device description
 driver installed,  rt640x64.sys

*----Here is my concern----*
Recently looking in the device manager both ethernet and wireless cards show normal with no event issues. But I have 8 different types of WAN Miniports listed and though all of them say, this device is working properly, there is this migration issue listed in the Events. On the same dates of it's install it says from bottom up,
Device not migrated <-*------this is what I'm concerned about-----*
Device configured (netavpna.inf)
Device started (RasAgile Vpn)

*------These are my questions------*
(1) These miniport drivers are they supplied only from Windows or are they also included with the Acer site's ethernet and wifi drivers?

(2a) And if I decide (or need) to update the versions of the Acer supplied ethernet and wifi drivers should I do it through the device manager Update and direct it to my downloaded Acer pertinent folder?
OR
(2b) Should I run the Setup.exe in the Acer folder?
I.e. does the setup install any additional facets over just updating via the device manager?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,837 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Some of the port protocols might not be used because your router/modem doesn't support or need them. These drivers are supplied by ACER in its ACER-flavored Win10 installation when shipped from the factory. However, they may be automatically updated by Microsoft Win10 updates from time to time.

>>> And if I should need to re-install or update>>>  Device Driver updates aren't usually done anymore like in the olden days when you had to search for an INF file in some subdirectory. What you do these days is first look for any red or yellow warnings in Device Manager. Then uninstall the problem drivers. Then exit Device Manager without trying re-install anything. Then you reboot and let Win10 automatically re-detect and re-install the problem drivers. If that doesn't solve the problem then you'd  head over to the ACER driver download site for your machine https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6736?b=1 to see if there are any driver updates to fix the problem. Then you'd download the driver file, usually a compressed zip file, decompress it by double clicking on it. Then double click the resulting decompressed EXE file to install the new driver to fix the issue. That's it ---- in theory anyway.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Leave them alone. They are used by your networking hardware automatically to communicate with internet servers using different networking protocols. Some of them might not be used because your router/modem doesn't use them. Don't try to fix what doesn't seem to be busted.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RB28
    Thanks JackE for the reply, but I wasn't planning on uninstalling the Miniport drivers. (1) I was asking why they show "not migrated" or what exactly does that mean?

And were these Miniport drivers also supplied by the Acer  (card mfg, Intel and Realteck) or are they only windows supplied drivers. Would much appreciate any input on that?

(2) And if I should need to re-install or update the Acer supplied drivers for the ethernet and wifi cards, are there any additional facets installed with running the setup.exe over just directing the device manager to the driver folder (?) which I surmise would probably just process the INF file. Just whatever input you or anyone else would have on this would be helpful.

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Some of the port protocols might not be used because your router/modem doesn't support or need them. These drivers are supplied by ACER in its ACER-flavored Win10 installation when shipped from the factory. However, they may be automatically updated by Microsoft Win10 updates from time to time.

>>> And if I should need to re-install or update>>>  Device Driver updates aren't usually done anymore like in the olden days when you had to search for an INF file in some subdirectory. What you do these days is first look for any red or yellow warnings in Device Manager. Then uninstall the problem drivers. Then exit Device Manager without trying re-install anything. Then you reboot and let Win10 automatically re-detect and re-install the problem drivers. If that doesn't solve the problem then you'd  head over to the ACER driver download site for your machine https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6736?b=1 to see if there are any driver updates to fix the problem. Then you'd download the driver file, usually a compressed zip file, decompress it by double clicking on it. Then double click the resulting decompressed EXE file to install the new driver to fix the issue. That's it ---- in theory anyway.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RB28
    JackE said:
    Some of the port protocols ............(edited out, see original post)

>>> Device Driver updates aren't usually done anymore like in the olden days when .....(edited out, see original post)
    Jack E/NJ
    . -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks JackE excellent summation of what I was asking for. This pretty much settles the issue in my case or at least until I get a new router and attempt to sign up for a private VPN service or anything that might have need of aforesaid drivers.
    Thank you much.