Predator 15 G9-593: Starting to see red light from the logo light through the monitor

Moffee
Moffee Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
I've started to see four red dots from the logo light when the keyboard backlight is turned on (since turning on keyboard backlight through Fn+F9 turns on the keyboard's backlight, the two red stripes behind the laptop, and the logo). Also, when the laptop screen is turned on, the logo now has a pinkish glow, most likely from the backlight.

Do I need to get the laptop repaired or is there a way to turn off the lights on the top of the laptop specifically (preferably just the logo, leaving the two red stripes)?

It looks like this: https://imgur.com/a/YjsTB9D

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I don't think there is a way to disable the lighting of the logo only, so your only option is to contact Acer and request a repair.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Hi!
    Does this problem also occur on the bios screen with the keypad light on?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,837 Trailblazer
    I don't think the LEDs are shining through the screen. I think their control circuits are not well isolated from, or pressed too close against, the back of the screen. Perhaps the screen's back cover got distorted somehow from a heavy object or during assembly? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Moffee
    Hi!
    Does this problem also occur on the bios screen with the keypad light on?
    Yes, I am able to see the light still, even on the BIOS screen, since this appears to be more of a hardware problem.
    JackE said:
    I don't think the LEDs are shining through the screen. I think their control circuits are not well isolated from, or pressed too close against, the back of the screen. Perhaps the screen's back cover got distorted somehow from a heavy object or during assembly? Jack E/NJ
    Perhaps that may be the case, since it's kind of a tight fit in my bag, since the laptop did not come with a suitable bag.

Also, the red light becomes easier to see if the color on that part of the screen is a light color or white, and harder when darker, or black.

I suppose the only way is to get it repaired?
  • Are you referring to these @JackE part?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I don't know if the logo is what is shining through, but I had a similar experience with my predator laptop. When I had a white background and press fn+f6 to switch the screen off(actually fn+f6 switches off the backlight only) I could see a red light. When the background was darker(I haven't experimented with this) or assume if the background colour didn't contain light from the red spectre, the pixels would block it off. By looking at how LCD works, I assume it is the red light only.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,837 Trailblazer
    Based on ven98's comments, I now lean more toward a faulty design with the LED placement. They seem to serve no useful purpose other than sparkle. Accordingly, if it was mine, I'd probably try to disable them if it's not under warranty. If it's still under warranty and if it's actually a flawed design, I'm not sure how ACER repair service would deal with this. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Moffee
    Yeah, so it's most likely going to be a repair (since the laptop's still under warranty)? I'm not too keen about opening the laptop on my own.