an515-53-55g9 Crashes

k6ll
k6ll Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I've had this machine for a month, and it has crashed six times.  It is always on charger, always has an external monitor, mouse and keyboard.  Bios is 1.19.  The crash does not occur while I am using the system, but in each of the crashes, when I go to use the machine, I find the screen dark,  the system is non-responsive, and the fan is running quite loudly. Pressing the power button for five seconds turns it all off, and tapping the power button boots it up normally with no warnings.  One time, I walked into the room, and saw the blue screen of death, saying the system had shut down due to a system service exception.  Any ideas out there?  Thanks in advance.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    >>>The crash does not occur while I am using the system, but in each of the crashes, when I go to use the machine, I find the screen dark,  the system is non-responsive, and the fan is running quite loudly. >>>

Open Control Panel. Search 'power'. Click 'change what power buttons do' in left pane. Make sure ALL button and lid settings are set to SLEEP. Click on 'change settings that aren't currently available'. Scroll down the list and uncheck the box turn on fast startup to disable fast boot.  Then go back to Control Panel power options and click edit power plan. Set ALL settings to NEVER. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• k6ll
    k6ll Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks JackE.  All of the button and lid settings were already sleep.  I unselected fast startup.  Regarding having the computer and monitor never sleep, I measured the computer and monitor power while awake but idle, and it is 12 watts and 15 watts respectively.  Both are zero while asleep.  I think I will start by having the computer never sleep, and letting the monitor go off after 10 minutes, and see if that solves the problem.  I'll turn everything off at bedtime.  Since the problem is infrequent, it will take several days to see if the problem is resolved.  I'll report back.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    >>>I think I will start by having the computer never sleep, and letting the monitor go off after 10 minutes, and see if that solves the problem.>>>

OK. Sounds good. Computer shouldn't draw much with the displays off anyway. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ