Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53 making static noise when turned on.

fireexplorer23
fireexplorer23 Member Posts: 52 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I recently acquired a Acer Nitro 5 for Christmas and I've noticed whenever I power on a faint static clicking noise is coming from the upper right side of the keyboard near the power button and number keys. I have unplugged the computer from the charger and powered off and back on and the computer seems to still make the noise. I'm worried it could be my hard drive does any one else have this problem or know any possible fixes???

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    I recently acquired a Acer Nitro 5 for Christmas and I've noticed whenever I power on a faint static clicking noise is coming from the upper right side of the keyboard near the power button and number keys. I have unplugged the computer from the charger and powered off and back on and the computer seems to still make the noise. I'm worried it could be my hard drive does any one else have this problem or know any possible fixes???
    i think its a hardware issue and its best to contact acer support for warranty help.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • fireexplorer23
    Rudy21 said:
    i think its a hardware issue and its best to contact acer support for warranty help.

How would one go about contacting Acer Support
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 said:

How would one go about contacting Acer Support
    You can visit acer.com and select the country and click on support, followed by contact acer
  • fireexplorer23
    Rudy21 said:
    Could it be my Power supply unit fan or my sound card. 
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 said:
    Im guessing that it could be FAN or HDD
  • fireexplorer23
    Rudy21 said:
    Rudy21 said:
    Im guessing that it could be FAN or HDD
    The sound is coming from their if that helps narrow it down.
  • Zezo_Noaman
    Zezo_Noaman Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

same here It is very noisy  
    what did you do ?

• fireexplorer23

what did you do ?
    Its still doing it I just ignore it does it sound like a kinda static zapping crackling noise???

• alexparrish
    alexparrish Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm planning to upgrade to a Acer nitro 5 i7 8gb ram gtx1050ti version just worried about the throttling issue and the battery span is decent can anyone tell if this is a good laptop or not
  • Rudy21
    I'm planning to upgrade to a Acer nitro 5 i7 8gb ram gtx1050ti version just worried about the throttling issue and the battery span is decent can anyone tell if this is a good laptop or not
    Yes if you are a heavy user for gaming then this is best choice.
  • Rudy21

what did you do ?
    Its still doing it I just ignore it does it sound like a kinda static zapping crackling noise???

Cracking noise always relates to HDD. Can you test the HDD in acer care center to see if the HDD is dying or not.
  • Zezo_Noaman
    Zezo_Noaman Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Rudy21 said:

what did you do ?

Cracking noise always relates to HDD. Can you test the HDD in acer care center to see if the HDD is dying or not.
    no  I am sure  it is not the hdd    it is from the motherboard from the area under the heat sink  (sound of scratch )
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 said:

what did you do ?

no  I am sure  it is not the hdd    it is from the motherboard from the area under the heat sink  (sound of scratch )
    either way i think its a hardware issue. If your device is under warranty its better to contact acer and they take care of it.
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited March 2019
    What type of hard drive is installed? Older RPM drives make tons of noise, especially as they get older.

The Nitro 5 has a 45Wh battery. In comparison to many 2018-2019 laptops, this is very low. Personally, I think it's one of the weakest points for the Nitro 5 line. You won't see much beyond 1-2hrs gaming on battery power.

Thermal throttling on the other hand is manageable. They are not optimized from the factory and many people immediately complain of 90C or higher temperatures. To get it lower, is not that difficult. However, if you want a laptop that comes out of the box ready to game for hours on end without throttling, the Nitro 5 is not the laptop. That's my honest opinion. Plan to spend more if you need the machine pre-optimized for dedicated gaming. At this price point, the Nitro 5 is a light to moderate gaming solution. The Predator line is more focused on gaming.