Boot Failed (Aspire M5-581T(G))

cfourkays
cfourkays Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives

Aspire M5-581T(G) with 10 Home that I've been working on. Problems booting among others. Tried normal fixes, (I am local IT), none worked. 

Got a recovery set and reinstalled system. Initially went OK and reloaded data and programs.

Tried it before I returned to owner and am getting a variety of failures. Sometimes even boots normally.

Here's what I get a boot: Not in any order, any one of these may appear"

Windows Boot Manager has been blocked by the current security policy.

Windows Boot Manager boot failed

Locks up at “Acer explore…..”

Recovery  Your pc needs to be repaired error 0x0000185

Any help appreciated.
Pete

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,837 Trailblazer
    >>>Aspire M5-581T(G) with 10 Home that I've been working on. Problems booting among others.>>>

Where'd you get the 'recovery set'. This is either an ACER-certified Win8.x or Win7 machine, not Win10. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• cfourkays
    Got the original recovery from Acer.
    Windows 8.1
    After installation, I upgraded back to Windows 10 that the owner had done.
    Its got the Windows 10 baked in.
    Owner said its been working OK on 10 since MS came out with free upgrade.
    I've used the Acer recovery and also booted in to a W-10 iso and installed from there.
    Since your response leaves a little niggle, I'll reload the W-8 from the Acer CD's and see if it fails with 8 the same way as 10.
    Thanks for the response and I'll get back.
  • JackE
    You might want to try to tallk the owner into Win8.1 due to the new and unimproved Windows lifecycle policies  with their rapid-fire heavy-handed major updates that are almost like entirely new versions of Windows under the old Microsoft naming convention. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet  .

Machine's that came with earlier versions of Windows factory-installed are probably better off upgrading back ASAP to those earlier versions to assure maintenance support till 2023 for Win8.x. Win10 has no such assurances much beyond the next major update which typically have maintenance support ending in only 12-18mos. Every major Win10update release carries a huge potential of compatibility issues with older machines. They are nothing like the old service packs of earlier Windows versions.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• cfourkays
    Been doing exactly what you suggest.
    Recovering with the Acer CDs. If this works, I'll install "Classic Shell" which gives the appearance of W-7.
    Have done that with a lot of owners who missed out on the 10 freebie and who can't stand 8.
    I'll get back to let you know if leaving it on 8 solves the problem
    I don't think a new HD would do anything since this problem appears in boot loading???
    Pete
  • JackE
    Way to go!!! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ