Predator orion 3000 graphic card upgrade

Rchopra18916
Rchopra18916 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
I was wondering if anyone has tried fitting the msi gtx 1070 gaming x into their orion 3000, I have order it but not sure if it will fit, should have checked before ordering. My worry is the plate that holds the hdd and ssd might be in the way as the msi gaming x is big 

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Usually the graphics cards have given dimensions in the specification, so you can use that information to find out if it will fit in the case.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    MSI says 279 x 140 x 42 mm for the card size, you can check the clearance from that.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Rchopra18916

Tinkerer

Thanks for you reply I will keep you posted on how this turns out 
  • IanGamer
    IanGamer Member Posts: 3 New User
    Did you get this to fit? I've done the same and ordered before ensuring it would fit, the card dimensions are smaller than the case but just wondering?
  • Rchopra18916

Tinkerer

Hi not the msi card but was way too big 
    I end up buying the zotac 2070 blower card which fit perfectly 
  • IanGamer
    Thanks for the response, you've saved me alot of hassle. Does that run well with the 500w PSU or did you need to upgrade?
  • Rchopra18916

Tinkerer

I upgraded to a 600 w 
    It would had need 550 w and above for the 2070 
  • IanGamer
    Thanks for the reply again. I've seen alot of people using 2070s on 500w so I'm going to risk it for now and if not then I'll get a new PSU
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Be aware that if the PSU is marginal, the symptoms likely will involve random crashes without a clear pointing finger at the power. So don't expect it to just not work if it needs 510W... :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I personally always add 50% to the total power consumption my system would draw, so if it draws 500W total, I would purchase 750W PSU. 500W PSU for RTX 2070 even if paired with i9 9900k will be enough, as the total usage most likely won't be higher than 500W in worst case, but that depends on configuration(RAM, Storage, additional pcie expansion cards, etc.), therefore I doubt there will be any issues with the PSU. Despite that I would still get at least 600-650W PSU.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!