Aspire E5-573 latest BIOS and Intel microcode update issue

WDev
WDev Member Posts: 5 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,

I've had BSoD problems when trying to install Microsoft's microcode update for my Aspire E5-573. Every time I attempt to install the kb4100347 update, I get a blue screen stating "UNSUPPORTED_PROCESSOR" the next time my laptop reboots.

Lately, I've installed the BIOS version 1.39 update from this page:
https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/53104/~/meltdown-and-spectre-security-vulnerabilities

Now, my computer won't boot completely and I get that blue screen regardless of the version of Windows 10 I use.

As a workaround, I modified BIOS settings to only allow a single CPU core to work and that is working, but I need a solution to make Windows able to boot with dual core config.

As a note, HWiNFO64.exe says that my CPU microcode revision is not updated!

Please note that I'm now running my laptop with Windows 1809 (latest build) but with only single CPU core enabled.  If I change that Windows won't boot again.

Is there any updated BIOS to correct the CPU microcode revision and make it up to date?

Best Answer

• WDev
    edited January 2019 Answer ✓
    Well, after an intensive work trying to figure out how to apply a modded BIOS, I've got all the apps needed to patch the BIOS except for one thing that I wasn't able to get my hands on which is the certificate file (.pfx) that's used by the manufacturer to sign (encrypt) the firmware image so the system can recognize it as a valid update. It seems that there is only one choice to try which is an external programmer chip to directly update the binary data of the BIOS chip on the motherboard but not worth the effort, I'll better invest my money and time and looking into another brand, or even building a PC from scratch!

I'm giving up dear manufacturer, you left me out of choice! 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,841 Trailblazer
    In my opinion these vulnernabilities have been overhyped. And the risk of bricking or adverse side-effects in an otherwise fully functional machine is just too great to apply any firmware updates, esp ones like this. So for future ***possible*** firmware updates, you must keep monitoring the ACER site you used to download & apply v1.39 or https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/5976?b=1 . I have no idea if and when such an update will be released.

If you can't wait, we can always try to apply an earlier version to get back full functionality. But it too carries a significant bricking risk. If it were mine, I'd probably wait and hope a fix is released soon and continue to hobble along with your workaround.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• WDev
    edited December 2018
    I'm not concerned about the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities, I just wanted to install Windows 10 1809 update for software development purposes and faced this mysterious issue with microcode updates on my laptop.

I wonder if Acer is going to provide future updates for my BIOS (for post 1809 update release), otherwise I just have to rollback to a previous version but I don't know if that's possible anyway!
  • JackE
    A rollback is possible but not as easy as an update but with the same bricking risk. Your decision on whether to wait/hope for an update or try a rollback now. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• WDev
    edited January 2019
    I've been working on updating the Microcode region of the bios and I succeed but it seems that the InsydeH2O BIOS images are RSA encrypted and any modification will break the whole image and the system will refuse to update it. Very frustrating failure!
  • JackE
    Sorry, because this was a transition model released just before Win10 debuted, I'll guess that any BIOS updates much beyond the first or second major Win10 versions won't be happening anytime soon.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• WDev
    Why wouldn't they bother making an effort as little as updating a 20kb file, that wouldn't take much time, or at least giving us the tools and freedom to tweak the BIOS without enforcing security checks to do whatever we want at our own risk!

This mysterious problem will prevent me from getting any future major upgrades for Windows while my other older Toshiba laptop is running the latest builds without restrictions!
  • JackE
    Perhaps fighting too many other firmware-v-Win10update fires with machines that are less than 2 years old? Firmware security issues are big deals with ACER. Seems noticeably moreso since the 1703 release for some reason. Perhaps bios mods forums can be more helpful. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• WDev
    edited January 2019 Answer ✓
    Well, after an intensive work trying to figure out how to apply a modded BIOS, I've got all the apps needed to patch the BIOS except for one thing that I wasn't able to get my hands on which is the certificate file (.pfx) that's used by the manufacturer to sign (encrypt) the firmware image so the system can recognize it as a valid update. It seems that there is only one choice to try which is an external programmer chip to directly update the binary data of the BIOS chip on the motherboard but not worth the effort, I'll better invest my money and time and looking into another brand, or even building a PC from scratch!

I'm giving up dear manufacturer, you left me out of choice! 
  • JackE
    >>>I'll better invest my money and time and looking into another brand, or even building a PC from scratch! I'm giving up dear manufacturer, you left me out of choice!>>> 

Sorry. Probably could've gotten 1809 booting again on all cores by letting ACER service try to tweak it in an out-of-warranty repair. But then no guarantees the next major ~6mo update released wouldn't mess something else up again. Such is the nature of the new and unimproved Microsoft lifecycle policies. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet  Good luck in finding a way around it other than installing Linux like many of us already have with the major consumer brands. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ