Battery drain and coil whine on powered down Helios 500

Rhiozan
Rhiozan Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have recently became a happy owner of the Predator Helios 500.

I have noticed that the machine is drawing a bit of battery juice while powered down (not hibernated, but switched off properly). For instance, when I switch the machine off for the night, I can see 5-7% of the battery gone the next day. At the same time when it is powered down a faint coil whine is noticeable from my unit which indicates that some capacitors or whatever electric components are being utilized. 

The thing persists even with power adapter unplugged.

So the question is: is it a bug or a feature? :D

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    If fast boot is enabled, the device goes in hibernation mode when you select 'shut down'. You can go to power options(right click on battery icon) and then go to choose what the power buttons do and there you will see the option to turn on fast start-up. You have to remove the selection.

If you have tried that already I would suggest you to try resetting the battery:
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

If the problem still persists that isn't a normal behaviour or a 'feature', so you need to contact Acer or return the laptop back to the retailer you bought it from.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Rhiozan
    Rhiozan Member Posts: 2 New User
    ven98 said:
    If fast boot is enabled, the device goes in hibernation mode when you select 'shut down'. You can go to power options(right click on battery icon) and then go to choose what the power buttons do and there you will see the option to turn on fast start-up. You have to remove the selection.

If you have tried that already I would suggest you to try resetting the battery:
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

If the problem still persists that isn't a normal behaviour or a 'feature', so you need to contact Acer or return the laptop back to the retailer you bought it from.
    Thank you for your recommendations. It was none of that actually. It turned out to be one of the peripherals plugged via USB. Specifically it was an ancient USB keyboard that I use with this state of the art laptop. And I specifically ruled out all other devices that I leave plugged to the machine (a mouse and cooling pad). Mystery solved!